My project & rocky soil

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Anonymous, Jun 8, 2005.

1. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

2. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

p.s. - Just found out my soil is Neutral if anything VERY SLIGHTLY alkaline, like ph7.5

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

:eek: Wow great job Murray! :sete_005: :sete_013: Evening more amazing seeing as though this was your first gardening attempt.

Here's what you said in your first post:
    I think you have achieved your goal :smt023 You must post more pics when the grass comes up.

Great work!

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

You should think about using some of that rock to build a small fountain!

Just lovely! Way to go on your first attempt! My back started hurting just looking at all that rock! Be proud of yourself, you did good!

Advertisement
  5. catkins

catkins Seedling

I have to agree, you have done really well, its pretty daunting when you start and you have a lot of work to get through.Even worse when we are just beginners.You have made a fabulous start and you should be proud, all that hard work, but look at the end product.Congratulations!!
    Catkins

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well Murray I am impressed!!! When I look back at what your garden was like and compare it with how it looks now all I can say is FANTASTIC!!! :-D

It looks sooooo much bigger than it used to now it's cleared. For a first time gardener you're doing really well. Please keep us updated with piccies of your progress won't you?

7. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Thanks guys,
    remember tho, it's not just me doing well, it's just as much your work. Your brains 'fed' the work and I couldn't have done it without you.

All the rock, well 99% is gone - buried under the rockery - was thinking of making a fountain though - out of remaining rocks and other materials.

Also just carried in an extra 120 bricks to add to the 100+ I already have to build myself a nice big BBQ. I really cant wait for the good weather now!

More pics as soon as there are any more developments ;)

How are all your gardens going then?
    Also planted 2 lines of bulbs, and also adding about another 12 (bizzie lizzies - aunts favorite) to make a nice row of plants along the front of the garden. Some of the bulbs are unknown and as i'm lacking in my garden expertise i've probably planted some upside-down - NO JOKE! - anyway fingers crossed something will grow!

Thanks again and will keep you updated!
    MB

8. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Just a little help regarding watering and seeds please...

a. I'm unsure as to how much water I should put down on the seeds and just how much to water plants in general. Is there some sort of rule of thumb I can use??

b. Much of the grass seeds are sitting on top of the soil. Is this ok? or do they need to be buried under soil?

Thanks in advance people. Will hopefully have new pics soon ;)

9. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

I presume you are using a hose to water the grass seed . If you have no sprayer , just stick your finger on the top of the hose to make a spray effect. If you can lightly rake in the seed into the soil it will help germination . Spraying the evening is best as there is less evaporation . The soil shoulbe wet but not soggy . The area you have should take about 15 to 20 minutes to do if you have had no rain that day .
    Well done on your project
    8) Bugs

10. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Thanks bugs,

- Yes, using a hose - thanks for the watering tips - I think i've doing soo far then.

It has been a week now and I cannot see much growth. Should I lightly rake those seeds in that are on the top even at this late stage? - I was worried it might disrupt any growth!?

Im also worried that I have to walk across the seeds to get to the seeds that are at the back of the garden? Is this a problem? So far I have just been trying to tread as lightly as possible so as not to disrupt any growth.

Thanks again for all your help!

11. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

Patiece is the virtue in gardening . I think you have done pretty ok so far. Don't worry about walking over the seeded area. Its probably a bit late to cover the seed but don't worry it should be ok
    8) Bugs

12. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Thanks a lot,
    You've been a great help. Quick reply too ;)

off to water garden now.

13. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Hi guys and girls,

I have 2 more pictures for you of my grass growing. It is quite patchy but I tried and will top it up with some extra grass seed at a later date and hopefully fill in those patches.
    pics...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/m ... rden14.jpg
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/m ... rden15.jpg

Just wanted a little help on 2 things I was thinking of buying..
    1. A lawnmower.. My aunt wants to spend about £50 as she is an OAP-maybe she could get a discount. The lawn isn't too even and is on a slight slant. I like the idea of a roller mower for the stripes but what if im in a rush one day and i don't do it properly or decide I don't want stripes? ie. do i have a choice with a roller mower if i dont want stripes.
    2. A shed, a decent size, no massive, about 2mx2m would probably do. Preferably wood as it looks better. Again aunt doesn't want to spend more than about £60 but i'm willing to chip in a little extra for either of these products if need be.

Thanks in advance for any help!

oh, sorry, on more question...
    I've got some weeds growing in the garden and in the rockery i'm just curious to know if they will do any damage if i don't pull them out. Some look pretty nice and the more green the better in my opinion. Some of the ugly ones will definitly be pulled however.

Thanks again,

MB

14. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there,

Why not try looking on http://www.ebay.co.uk and see if there's any huts and mowers to bid on? Sometimes MUCH cheaper than going to a shop to buy them. I wouldn't bother with a roller mower as I think grass looks much better growing naturally - but it's entirely up to you. :-D Just make sure that any you do try for are within a reasonable distance of where you stay so that you can pick them up. It would be waaaaay to expensive to have them sent to you.

Some weeds are definately a no no for a garden such as dandelions, thistles etc but other can be quite attractive - after all they're really all wild flowers. I actually have a section of my garden that is all wild plants and it looks good even although others say they are weeds. They attract a variety of insect life which in turn attracts birds to the garden.

Here is a site about weeds so that you can decide what you want to keep and what to discard.

http://www.robsplants.com/weeds.php

By the way I think your grass is coming along nicely. Well done. :D

15. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Eileen, your a massive help as usual. That is a pretty good site.
    With the weeds i'll simply pull up the ugly ones and those growing too close and too big near my current flowers/plants.
    I quite like the 'common chicory' and it is growing in both of my neighbours gardens but all I seem to get is some really small weeds in between my grass (will get a close-up picture soon) and dandelions which i'm not a big fan of.

Here is two pictures of the BBQ i have just built. It is not cemented as I wanted it to be movable, i didn't want the un-natural cement look and honestly I couldn't be bothered.
    Doesn't look as great as I hoped it would but i'm fairly pleased with it...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/m ... rden16.jpg
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/m ... rden17.jpg

Also i'm now uploading ALL my pics to this web address as I type...

Edit: Address no longer exists

The best pictures will be numbered garden1,2,3 etc etc