My small pond makes me happy

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Bosque, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

I have a small pond in my back yard. I know its not that pretty but the sound is very soothing, the birds really like it. Very few people around my area provide birdbaths for our feathered friends and the nearest river or lake is at least 30 miles away. Most years our rainfall is laughable, so..., well you get the picture. Anyway I have any included a few pictures. My son helped me build a bio filter which keeps the water clear enough to see down to the bottom and to see the few goldfish. I need some pond plants and it might look a little better. IMG_20161004_192947.jpg IMG_20161004_194708.jpg IMG_20161004_193719.jpg IMG_20161004_193509.jpg

hummerbum, donm, LIcenter and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Lovely pond :) How do you keep raccoons from getting the goldfish? Do you have a water source to keep it filled?

4. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

I don't get raccoons. Probably not enough trees around for their environment. I do occasionally get a Gartner snake visit the pond but I have never seen them catch a fish. As for a water source, I just use water from the hose. My pond isn't very big, not over 1000 gal.

2ofus likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think all gardens should have a source of water as they attract so much wildlife. Insects, birds and amphibians visit mine throughout the year and I love to watch them. It doesn't matter what size it is as long as you're happy with it. Thanks for sharing your photographs with us.

hummerbum and 2ofus like this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I really like your pond! I'd have to have a chair sitting near it so I could hear the water (so calming!) and watch the fish. Pond plants would help with the looks but they would also provide shade and hiding places for the fish and help keep the water clearer.

hummerbum likes this.
  7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I love your pond!! Kudos to you..I imagine it was a lot of hard word to build.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well done, and I think your pond is very pretty! You have used the surrounding stones very well--looks natural--and the waterfall is a wonderful touch. I dearly love the stone frog, meditating.
    Keep us posted on your pond, please!

9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Your pond is way cool and that is amazing you don't get raccoons (they're terrible here for stealing fish from ponds as are the eagles). Definitely a pond adds to the garden :) :like:

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

11. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Your pond looks wonderful Bosque. Are all those stones and boulders indigenous to your area? The biggest reason I have not built a pond myself is the cost of the stones. Roughly a pallet of stones go for $500.00 a pop. In order to do it halfway decent, I would need at a minimum three pallets.
    I'm now thinking about building a shallow meandering river rock bed. Deep enough so water can run just above the rocks, but not so deep that a build up of stone is needed. I think the birds, butterflies, and various other critters would love it.

12. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

Licenter, I live on a very rual area. When I need rock I just take a drive around till I find some open vacent land and just pick up what ever rock I need and can carry. I have mountains and hills all around me so finding rock is pretty easy. And at least its free, I couldn't afford to buy it. What area are you in? Do you live in a city? Have you ever just taken a ride in the country? You can usually find different kinds of rock laying by the sides of the road, just an idea :)

13. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Living on Long Island equates to living on one big sand bar. In order to find nice rocks, I would need to drive 70+ miles. We do have some rocks that were deposited from the glacier, but sadly most are the size of small bungalow. :)

14. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I wish I could share some rocks with you. All the farmers fields have piles of lava rocks stacked on rock outcropping's that they have to plow around. You could have your choice of black or red lava rocks! There's also slate and glacier polished white rocks.

LIcenter likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Today was drizzly and misty, making it hard to do anything. We walked the fence line to see what needed repair, and of course stopped by the pond to see the turtles and fish that were feeding near the surface. It made me think of you, Bosque. Our pond is actually a tank for watering livestock, but it also serves as a watering station and fishing hole for birds, and provides habitat for lots of wildlife.
    A water feature, big or small, is such a great addition to a garden, and gives pleasure to humans and "other" creatures!

hummerbum likes this.