My Tomato Story ...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Jun 10, 2018.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Late last year I received another batch of tomatoes seed from Carolyn and I was really excited about it after the last batch only 2 germinated. This time I received the seeds in much better condition and build a new bed just for tomatoes.

20180205_093851.jpg
    20180205_093859.jpg

The species was picked at random and I planted all the seeds from this packet.

P1080398.JPG

Almost all germinated and I had to cull a few, it was difficult but it had to be done.

P1080399.JPG

Planted in new bed.

P1080402.JPG

Protected from pesky birds.

P1080406.JPG

Released from bird protector and trimmed.

P1080411.JPG

It grew but I was worried.

P1080412.JPG

It flowered just a little but no fruits, then "suckers" start to grow from the leaves.

P1080413.JPG

Then it stopped growing and became funky. Finally after I came back from my Japan trip I decided to remove them. Well I guess I'll stay away from tomatoes for awhile, maybe I'll only plant cherry tomatoes.

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

Don't give up! Next time more water, they look abit thirsty. Bury them deep, pinch the suckers and water. Lots of water.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

oh what a bummer! see if you can find any closer to home to start from. tomatoes are tropical but that looks like disease attacked it or some kind of herbicide drift from somewhere while you were gone. I think it would look totally wilted down if it was a lack of water or just really slow growing. So sorry it didn't work out better.

Growingpains likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

That weird leaf curl is the same thing my friends tomatoes did a year or so back,, remember ?
    She was using Miracle Gro potting soil ! Only affected the tomatoes not her peppers !
    She replanted with new plants and same thing happened !

Growingpains likes this.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Northener, they are not thirsty, I think they are not used to the harsh very hot and humid weather here not to mention crazy!

Carolyn I think I'll stick with cherry tomatoes which I had success, I would think it is the weather ... one day very hot and humid the next heavy downpour then suddenly sunny and hot again. Anyway I guess the weather is just not suitable.

Thanks Mart, I use only organics mainly compost.

Growingpains likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow KK. I've never seen a tomato do that.
    Wish you better luck with the cherry tomatoes.

Growingpains likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't think you should give up... they look like they got sprayed with an herbicide while you were gone. they were beautiful in the first picture. did you examine the backs of the leaves by any chance? were they clean and just curled or did they have any insect debris on them? ....so many influences on the growth or lack there of on the garden plants. but I understand the frustration of not getting a successful result.

Growingpains likes this.
  9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi KK,

I presume this question has been addressed.....or not.....what is the pH of the soil? For tomatoes between 6.0 and 6.8 is appropriate. Perhaps the plant needs a nutrient available in the potting soil but not present in the soil of the final planting. Two different pH's? Carolyn would know better how to approach that area of a tomato plant's needs. Air quality? Are they burning the jungles of Sumatra again?

Oh!! Something else. A soil experiment test....gets involved but you may still have all the parts. It's probably better to eliminate the easy stuff first.

Jerry

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Growingpains likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Jerry, I tested the soil with litmus paper and the colour looks neutral to me so I guess it is about 7 or so. The air quality here is good because I'm just at the fringe of a primary jungle and that is why I have problems with monkeys!!!:mad: The burning of jungles of Sumatra seems to have been arrested and we had been enjoying good air quality for awhile except for the occasional burning locally.
    Soil test? It's to expensive to have the soil tested here or to buy a test kit so no I have not tested the soil. I had used Epsom salt but no response from the plant.
    All I can think off is that the climate here is not suitable for tomatoes because the day temperature is over 32°C and night is above 24°C.
    Maybe one fine day I might try again :)

Growingpains likes this.
  11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I looked up the temperature limits on tomatoes and those are at the extreme upper limits. Bummer:(The problem would take a lot more thought.

Jerry

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Oh noooooo not again...KK!!! Ok maybe you need to stop going to Japan..lol!!! Seriously, maybe a small inexpensive greenhouse and grow in pots may be your answer. The greenhouse for the temps and unwanted spraying and the pots to control what goes into the soil.

Growingpains likes this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Hummerbum it's a great idea but my garden is just too small to have a greenhouse. Moreover here we need air-conditioning for a small green house or else it would be like a solar oven. The cost does not justify it too! :)
    Japan ... maybe one more trip! :)

14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Kk..even the little cheap ones that don't take up much space..the ones people use to start seeds. im talking $35 ish. Most come with openings and something that small, but tall enough for a few tomato plants in pots, you could cover with shade cloth or find a less sunny spot to put it. They have inexpensive greenhouses the size of where you were going to grow. Just trying to help you find a solution. I think outside of the box..hence hydroponics, which is another way that I think you and I have discussed. Heck I have issues..come on- growing on a screened in patio with limited light...heck if I can do it you can too.
    Ok just don't plant tomatoes if you plan on leaving...i couldn't take another year of disappointment...

Growingpains likes this.
  15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Hmmmm? Our tomato plants seem to thrive when the Summer gets hot and humid. They do require adequate watering.
    I wish you one more try with perhaps only two tomato plants.

16. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for your encouragement Growingpains, you summer weather is very different from the daily weather here and I guess that the toms don't like it here. I did make sure they were watered well and it was planted in partial shade. The last time I had some success with regular tomatoes they were like the size of cherry tomatoes. https://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/garden-image.php?image_id=59663&user_id=8051 I did made a posting but I can't find the post which was in 2014 :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyway I'm not going to plant tomatoes for the time being except for cherry tomatoes, I don't want to further disappoint Hummerbum :)

Jewell, hummerbum and Growingpains like this.