Mychorizae.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Odif, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I have been meaning to do this for a while, okay off the top of my head:

Michorizae are microscopic fungi that live in the soil. They are useful to gardeners, because they form a symbiotic relationship with about 90% of plant species. There are two main families of michorizae, namely: ectomichorizae and endomichirizae .Endomichorizae grow with 80% of plant species including most vegetables and from here on, I will talk about endomichorizae unless expressly stated. Endomichorizae actually penetrate inside the cells of plant roots and they offer an exchange of various nutrients for sugars. Sometimes, when you repot a plant, you may notice lots of very fine hairs along the root. this is michorization. Michorizae grow very fast and they make a network of very fine tubes all over the soil and they will find nutrients and transport them right into the heart of the plant root. Michorizae help protect plants against too much water or too little water as well as certain pathogens. They are especially useful for helping the plant with its phosphor needs, hence increased flowering and fruit production.

Michorizae create a network of connections in the soil. Scientists have compared it to a kind of social network. I prefer to think of michorizae as the brains behind the operation. For example michorizial networks connecting together a patch of tomatoes or some other kinds of plants could warn the other plants in a network if one plant is attacked by a disease and that will allow the other plants to activate their natural defences.

Michorizae grow naturally in soils, but application of mychorizae can help many plants to grow better when applied once to young plants or when transplanting fruits or other plants. Mychorizae are nowadays found in gardening shops more and more, it is also possible to grow your own and I will soon harvest my own mychorizae and explain the proccess in detail in a further post.

Sjoerd, fatbaldguy and Philip Nulty like this.