Mystery Houseplant Species

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by newplantgal, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. newplantgal

newplantgal New Seed

Hi everyone! I would just love to know what species of plant this is. I got it from the garden center and no one there knew what it is. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Saproxylic
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kiasmum
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think it is a "gold dust" croton plant. I haven't been in the house plant section for a long time but I think... wait til purpleinopp comments. she usually knows.

newplantgal and purpleinopp like this.
  4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Thanks for the kind words. Agree with Croton, I've seen this kind referred to as banana-leaf Croton too. Botanical name = Codiaeum variegatum.

newplantgal likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hallo there, and welcome...Very impressive avatar.

newplantgal likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I love those croton plants. I've bought several but for whatever reason I just CANNOT keep those suckers alive! :( Which is very frustrating because I'm typically really good with houseplants.

Hope you have better success than I! :D

newplantgal likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Ronni - me too. I can't keep a croton alive if my life depended on it. Not sure what I do or don't do but they just don't like me or where I live. As I've seen them growing huge in the tropics I kinda think they like lots of sun and heat. I can organize for lots of daylight but heat is up and down.

I think they're lovely and I do love all the colours you can get in the leaves but they're on my 'No Grow List' here.

Kay likes this.
  8. newplantgal

newplantgal New Seed

@Ronni @Islandlife - I am usually very bad with plants, but I have been doing more research and trying much harder and this one is slowly getting taller! Even a new sprout coming up!

Ronni likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Way cool NewPlantGal! I grow the known easy plants that are bullet proof :) Snake plants dies when you stomp them as do Christmas cactus, elephant foot palms etc.

Keep trying. You might find that some plants like your house and other plants don't. Lots can depend on the amount of light, heat, moisture in the air in your place etc.

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I'm in agreement - Croton. I am also in agreement with Islandlife on this. I have never managed to keep one of these for very long. They are so very tropical, and seem to almost require a greenhouse environment, with consistent warmth and humidity. They are also very susceptible to pests. Mealy bugs love them