Mystery: why is this plant everywhere where I live? Looks like hemp...

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Jigs Gaton, Apr 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton New Seed

Hi all, I can't find any good analysis on the differences between hemp and the other stuff - seems to me (from what I see on the interwebs), is that one is cultivated (painstakingly, with lots of work) and the other is not. Is this true?

The reason I ask is that this plant is everywhere, even in my own garden. It's in every space that's not maintained. I would like to find out why, and instead of ripping it out like a weed from my plot, I'd like to put it to good use, if possible...

Here is a sample of the plant, along with one of my fertilizer machines:

hemp v pot.png

It's spring here in Nepal, and this shot is from a vacant lot across my way, where there are stands of this plant pushing up as shown. I just moved here, so I am not sure what plot owners do with this, if anything. I know that folks here use hemp seeds when cooking (yummy aloo), and that clothes are also made from the fibers.

Could this be remnants of that type of gardening? Also, my fertilizing machine named Hiro has epilepsy, and currently must take 60mg of phenobarbital every day to remain stable. But that will ruin a dog's internals over time, so says my local vet. He suggests CBD oil, but there is none available in this country, perhaps even unavailable on the entire continent due to the "law" and lack of processing knowledge / capability.

If I could somehow distill the oil from what's growing everywhere around me - to save my doggie - I would go to all lengths to do. I hate dosing him with phenobarbitals, but if I don't, he dies.

Ideas? Thx!!!
    Jigs in the Doo (Kathmandu)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. BradM
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. David M
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I doubt that the plant is anything but an ordinary weed - could in fact be Kenaf. I don't think the local authorities would allow any hemp/marijuana to grow all over the place without removing it.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

CBD oil is not regulated and iis not what gets people high on marijuana !! Its currently used for many health related things !! Epilepsy is one of them !! I think you can buy it online !! But check on its usage !! Just had an article about it yesterday on TV !!

Jigs Gaton and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

let it mature and see what the flowers look like.
    google how to tell the difference between a male and female marijuana plants, and then remove all the male plants when you can ID them. ( this will increase the THC content the females produce )
    harvest the buds, dry them, smoke them, or cook them with butter and use said butter to make cookies.

the cops will probably demand 30% a cut tho. :dislike:

lol

Jigs Gaton and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Jigs Gaton I am curious. It does look like pot growing there. Keep us posted.

7. nitram

nitram Seedling

8. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

I think the dog ate some...

nitram and Jigs Gaton like this.
  9. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton New Seed

Ha! I am in Nepal. Local authorities arrest dealers, but no one else. And seriously, this plant must be indicative of the village that I live in - it is literally everywhere I look. On Kenaf, it' clearly not that:
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    But thx for playing!

nitram likes this.
  10. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton New Seed

Thx @mart, but they don't allow it mailed into the country (via customs). No idea why not. But if this plant has it, I'll figure out how to make it. My doggie's kidneys may depend on that, me thinks.

11. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton New Seed

@nitram Interesting vid (I like his films) but I think things have radically changed here since 2014 - and with the new GoN (for example, Sadhus this year @shivaratri could not find anything to fill their chillums with). And interestingly enough, I have heard that confiscated cannabinus goes to a local government hospital for redistribution to patients, but I have no evidence other than hearsay.

nitram likes this.
  12. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton New Seed

Ha! I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon :) I'd have to hire an army. But I guess I'll wait and see what happens when they mature. I think I am seeing a lot of hermaphrodite plants mixed with both male and female plants. But perhaps it's early yet in the growing season.

13. Kelly Palmer

Kelly Palmer New Seed

It's likely something in the hibiscus family. But cannabis is in that family, I think. Are there blossoms yet?

14. Odif

Odif Young Pine

It is cannabis sativa.

15. rookierappaz

rookierappaz New Seed

Looks just like cannabis. Couldn't tell you if its ruderalis, sativa or indica but it sure looks like a weed plant. Did you end up finding a way to use it? Or did it happen to flower?

Odif likes this.
  16. aminamoss

aminamoss New Seed

Since it's been 4 years, I'm curious to know if you ever found a way to put the abundant plant to good use? Regarding your "fertilizing machine" Hiro's epilepsy, it's unfortunate you can't find CBD oil easily. CBD has been making waves in symptom management for various conditions, including endometriosis in humans. You can learn more about it at https://releaf.co.uk/education/medi...cannabis-and-endometriosis-symptom-management. If you're considering extracting CBD oil from the plants growing around you, definitely consult local experts or farmers who might have experience with it. It's crucial to ensure you're dealing with hemp, not another variety, and you'll need to be sure about its THC content, especially if you plan to use it for Hiro.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023