Natural Numbers

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Adult elephants weigh at least 3,000 kilo.
    They are actually good swimmers and can sometimes walk for long distances through water, using their trunks as a snorkel.

102christa likes this.
  2. 102christa

102christa Seedling

That's so cool! I love elephants. When we were in the Kruger we saw elephants using their trunks to get water from beneath the sand in a dry riverbed. We never imagined there would be water in there but they knew.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

How many lakes are there in the world? Have you ever wondered?
    I haven't either until now...

I learned that smart computers combined with satellite images have shown that there are 117,000,000. The majority are not larger than one hectare and occur primarily in the northern hemisphere in Northern Canada and Siberia.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

500,000 - 600,000

zL.jpg
    5 to 6 hundred thousand pairs of Great Tits make this bird sort the most generally widespread nesting bird in our country. So long as there is the possibility of nesting it will come. For instance--nest-boxes, holes in trees and so forth. In the great expanses of woodland here, is where the greatest concentrations of the birds are to be found.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  5. 102christa

102christa Seedling

1,000 – 2,000: A sunflower is not just one flower. Both the fuzzy brown center and the classic yellow petals are actually 1,000 - 2,000 individual flowers, held together on a single stalk.
    upload_2016-6-2_12-44-36.jpeg

2ofus and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Just for interest this ref the Toads rescued by people - brings back a memory to me from way way back (1940's) when we kids did the same thing and rescued literally thousands of fish - Rudd Roach and some Crucian Carp etc. Scenario was a disused brickfield/brickworks on whose area of land these two sizeable and deep pits had been dug out for getting clay. These pits had filled with water and over a period of time had acquired all these fish - mostly small - far too many for the water.
    Came the time when it was decided the land would be used for industrial building and the pits were steadily filled in driving the fish into the last remaining small bit of water. Conveniently there was a river running quite close by a field away and we (as with the Toads) scooped out many buckets full of fish and taking them to the river - I do not exaggerate here there was thousands of them.
    That river (the Rom) had previously only had Sticklebacks in it and is still today as it was then. I have often wondered if it has still got descendents of those fish we put in it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    2ofus, 102christa and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

6 ?

True or false...a camel can go six weeks without moisture?
    When a camel drinks, it can drink up to 100 litres in one go. They can go a long time without water because they do not perspire or urinate often.
    There are ~16 million camels living on earth at this moment.

Ans.: False--a camel can go two weeks without water.

102christa likes this.
  8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi sjoerd. Really good topic this and of much interest - thank you.
    Ref Camels I cannot resist this and may I please crave your indulgence and tell a perfectly nice little Camel joke - hope it is enjoyed. Here goes.
    Young Camel talking to its mother ----
    "Why have I this hump on my back - (M) Its to store water so you are never thirsty in the desert.
    And why have I these very long eye lashes - (M) Its so the sand does not blow into your eyes in the desert.
    And why have I got these great big feet - (M) Its so that you do not sink into the sand in the desert.
    Then mother tell me what am I doing in this Zoo?".

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    2ofus, Sjoerd and 102christa like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The male house wren sometimes makes eight different nests. The female inspects them all and selects just one which she will use to lay eggs in. Only this nest she will line with hair and wool. The others then are used for the male to sleep in and later for the whole family.

10. 102christa

102christa Seedling

Women.... :snicker:

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I won't go there.......:rolleyes:

102christa likes this.
  12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Very wise - let that one go. Heres a little something ( and mightily bored you will be). I spotted this just last evening watching a nature DVD - great faves of mine. On the river and pond bottoms dwell the larvae of the Caddis fly. Quite small its not aggressive and is an easy victim to a predator. As a defence what is does is somehow adhere/stick tiny pieces of grit and stone all over its body as a kind of armour - looks like a miniature paved area in the garden.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    2ofus and 102christa like this.
  13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Robins will produce 2 to 3 broods a year, building a new nest for each brood.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

13 or 17

Periodical cicada's live the first amount of years of their existence underground. After all those years the periodical cicada's creep out of the ground and up a tree (for instance) in the night to begin their short adult life. Their focus is then completely on reproduction. It is one of the wonders of nature. The next massive occurrence ought to be in May or June of 2021.

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi sjoerd. Another little something so as to contribute - wildlife being mentioned I will call this "strange pets". Whilst in the army in the desert with many insects and especially loads of flies about continuously - they drove us up the wall at times. Lived in a tent with a centre pole and again flies a serious nuisance. As a help we kept a Chameleon (plenty about) living at the top of the tentpole where it "picked off" flies with gusto. Fascinating creatures and they never missed.

Henry Johnson likes this.