Natural Wasp repellent spray.

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by Tooty2shoes, May 24, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow, this spray is so simple. Mix 1 tablespoon of peppermint oil with 4cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake well when using.
    Wasps hate the smell of the peppermint oil. But if you spray it on them it will kill them as well. I will need lots of Peppermint oil to keep the wasps from trying to build little paper nests under our eves on our home.
    I'm going to mix up a batch and let you know what happens.

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Fingers crossed it does the trick Tooty. I don't mind wasps as long as they stay away from me and don't build their nests in our shed.

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.
  3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well so far I think I got rid of a nest just outside our front door. They were in a hole where the siding meets the house.:eek: Then we had a paper wasp trying to make a little nest in our back deck eves. That one returned several times. But I sprayed the area each time. Now to go and see if it is gone as well. :fingerscrossed:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Patti,..that is one very simple solution and harmless as well to all but the wasps,..i wonder how bees fare out with it,..though bees don't bother us.

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well good news. I got rid of the wasps. The ones in front of the house were Yellow Jackets. So glad they are gone. Now I will be repeating spraying under the eves of our house to keep those bugs at bay.
    I will also be using a natural product called--Shake-away in our garden keep the mice and voles out when I put down our mulch. It is a predators urine that is dried so you can sprinkle it anywhere. It is non-toxic and won't hurt anything. Except keeping those unwanted critters out of your garden.
    I also used Shake-away made out of Coyote urine to keep the Woodchucks from making a home under out barn floor. It worked great. I bet it would work to keep predators that like to eat chickens away from the Hen house. It would be worth a try as it is not that costly.

6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I was reading your post about the repellants to Mike and he was interested in the peppermint spray but when I told him about the Shake-away made out of coyote urine his first question was.....How do they collect that much coyote urine? Run around behind the coyotes with buckets?? :rofl::smt044

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

2ofus---:smt044 that is a great question. Not sure. Maybe captive coyotes are more willing to pee in a bucket.:smt081