Nautical Resale Shop Finds

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by cherylad, May 19, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    nautical stuff ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I found the two boat knick-knack shelves on Thursday at a new resale shop on my route to work.
    And today I decided to visit my buddy with the resale shop in town. We've traded a few plants and I haven't been in there all year. I spotted the fishy as soon as I walked up to the porch. And then found the anchor box-thingy inside.
    I asked how much the fishy was since I didn't see a price. He said... that old dirty thing? You can just have it! It's sooo cute. There's a latch that opens so you can take the ball out (which right now is just an old Christmas ornament). I think it would be awesome with a glass ball. Something to keep an eye out for at the resale/junk stores.
    And it was missing the hangy thing. So I drilled a hole and put him over in my "water corner".

[​IMG]
    fishy ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Next was the anchor "box". I sprayed it with polyurethane and drilled some holes in the bottom and of course put a couple of potted flowers in it.

[​IMG]
    Anchor box ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Last year I found this wacky fish bottle at a yard sale. It has just been laying around. And today, it struck me what to do with it.
    We had this old piece of driftwood laying around and the darn thing fit snuggly into it. Imagine that! I put a wooden peg in it to make sure it didn't roll off. And then super-glued it too.

[​IMG]
    fish bottle ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I was going to put it on the shelf with the other nautical stuff, but I've been trying to find something to put on the one of the metal shelves in front of that planter. So he ended up there instead.
    So... what about the knick-knack boats? Haven't decided exactly what to do with them yet. But as soon as I do, you'll be the first to know.

:-D

Frank, donna in nc, waretrop and 7 others like this.
  2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The anchor box fits in just fine. A clever box). I wonder what cane in the fishy bottle? Perhaps some exotic fish oil. :) You do find some unusual items on your way home from work.

Jerry

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nice Finds!!! I really like the hanging fish.
    Any markings on the bottom of the fish bottle? There are some Italian wine bottles that look like yours selling for about $20 on Etsy.
    One site says it's a wine decanter....I don't think so.
    But wine bottle seems to be the most popular ID of it.

4. cherylad

Jerry and Toni... I checked the bottle for any kind of markings when I bought it. Nothing. It did have a piece of cork in it. So my guess was that it was a wine bottle too. Never thought to do an online image search. Sure looks like their wine bottles.
    $20 huh? I think I paid either $1 or $2.
    Toni... the hanging fish is my favorite... and not just because it was free. 8)

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Planters for the little boats... And they will go great in your water corner. You can make a little mast for each of them, and put sails on them.

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh you've got a whole lot of really lovely goodies there haven't you? Those boats would look lovely all planted up. I can see the yellow one with blue flowers and the blue one with yellow flowers. The Angel fish ornament, the anchor planter and the wine bottle all look right at home in your garden. :-D

7. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

oh wow what cool finds love them all

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds :)

9. cherylad

I'm sure they'll wind up being planters. I have a spot in front of the house in that long bed near by brother's storage building that I've been wanting to make nautical for him. It's just that I can't figure out exactly how I want to present them. They look kinda silly just sitting on the ground. Do I try to make them look like they are in water... at dock... on a trailer?

Thanks everyone!

10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'm pretty jealous of the anchor box planter Cheryl!

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You could always used coloured gravel to make the bed look like a beach scene. Blue for the water and sand coloured, or actual sand, for the beach. Also adding pieces of driftwood would look cool too. Maybe some plants that you'd find near the ocean? Sea shells would make it look more authentic as well.

Have a look here:

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/searc ... r2=piv-web

Maybe some of the photographs will give you inspiration.

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Nice finds. :D The fishy is my favourite. It's very decorative and fits nicely where you put it.

13. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Great finds, I do love that anchor box as well, love how the planters fit perfect. I also like Eileens idea with the beach scene.... :)

14. cherylad

Frank...after the owner gave me the hangin' fishy, I knew I had to buy something. He's such a nice guy. We talk plants We talk stuff. I never leave without buying at least one thing, so when I saw the anchor thingy I quickly grabbed it and would have bought it at any price (under $10). And when I saw that it was only $5.00... I knew it was mine. I even kept looking around to see what else I could buy. I spotted a few things that I might get on my next visit.

Eileen... I've been thinking about the same thing with the gravel. Great ideas from that link too. I can't really plant anything there because of the gas meter. But it would be cool to make a little beach scene.
    What I really wish I had was a small dingy or at least the front part of a canoe to put there and then plant it up. If "the dragon" was here, he would have already found it for me. So I've put out feelers to some of his boat buddies.

Thanks Droopy... I do love little fishies... even tin ones. And the colors are perfect.... nice and bright.

Thanks Laura... I keep a stash of planters on hand. Some for giveaways... and some for "me". I went through a couple of stacks of them, and wouldn't you know it... I found two identical ones that fit. I thought to myself... "they were just made for each other".
    And yes.. I like Eileen's beach scene too. Now, the fun part... how to put it all together!