Need advise for this table design...Pls help..

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by wuming79, Apr 18, 2007.

1. wuming79

wuming79 New Seed

Hi,

I have designed this table with swivel at the end. The swivel will attach another panel for my keyboard which can be kept when not in use. The end of the panel also has a foldable stand to provide more support for the user. Below the table, is a cupboard for keeping VCR and DVD player. I chose to put my monitor on the top right corner as I wanted to link the PC to the LCD TV for watching videos durectly from the PC.

I would like to know if this design is good or not. Is the swivel panel is lousy design because it is easily damage in years to come? The grey bar at along the walls are air-con ducts, thus the furnitures cannot be pushed all the way unless they are specially built. Please advise.

Table Design: [​IMG]
    Room Layout: [​IMG]

Regards,
    Lewis

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm greatly impressed Lewis!! Your design looks ideal for the room layout. Just as long as the swivel part is a few inches higher than the side of the bed I should think that it would work very well indeed. :D You must show us a photograph of the finished product!!

WELCOME to GardeStew by the way and we hope you'll stay around as we love to get to know new folks. :-D

4. wuming79

wuming79 New Seed

Hi Eileen, thanks for the extra assurance. I was given wet blanket on this design which made me very upset.

The swivel is measured to be higher than the bed with mattress. It won't be a problem. I'm just worried that after multiple use, the support at the end of the panel will give way or the swivel cannot support the weight of my arms.
    [​IMG]

I also have the problem of installing my power points. I have about 10 electronic devices in the room that needs power. Any idea where I should install them?

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I like it also Lewis. Is the foldable stand a one legged support, two-legged or flat support against the floor. A one legged support could cause instability. A flat support carrying the weight of the width of the swivel would work best.

I would like to have a table like this myself. Good work. BTW welcome to GardenStew.

Disclaimer: I've never studied furniture design so these are just my personal views ;)

Advertisement
  6. wuming79

wuming79 New Seed

Hi Gardenstew, thanks for your view. :) The support is a flat piece of wood, more than half the width of the panel (it was illustrated in the table design in my 1st post) No worries, this was my first furniture design too. Glad that someone agreed to my design. Thanks :)

7. eileen

Hi again Lewis,

Couldn't you install fewer power points and get an extension cable with surge protector? That's what we've done here and it works well as you can then take the extension into any room you wish.

Take a look at some folding gate leg table designs on the web as they have the extra strength you might need to support extra weight.

You know, for a first furniture design you've certainly done exceptionally well. Have you any more projects in mind? If so I'd love to see them too. :-D

8. michen_122

michen_122 New Seed

what a handy space saver that would be. Good diagrams too, that must have taken a bit of work to make

9. wuming79

wuming79 New Seed

Hi eileen,

The folding gate leg table designs I have found, seems to fold from 90 degrees to 180 degrees, leveling with the surface of the table. I'm actually wondering if there is any folding gate leg that folds from -180 degrees to 90 degrees? I wanted to keep the leg under the panel when not in use. er....is this still considered as a folding leg design? Pls advise.

The power extension was an option too. Just wondering if I could keep the power points out of sight when I walk along the walls.

Hmm.....this was my only complicated project so far. There is another simple design of a display cabinet behind my door. It's just a simple, thin cabinet.
    [​IMG]

10. eileen

I just had to go and check out my own table to see exactly how it works!!! You're right Lewis it does fold from 90 degrees to 180 degrees not the other way around - blast!!! :(
    We have a carpenter on the forums who should be able to help you out with your design though. His name is John Cranbrook. Have a look for his blog and write him a note. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you out.

The shelving design is great as it certainly gives you far more storage space. My husband has done the same dsort of thing inside a wardrobe of ours. It's so much better than it was as we can store all the smaller items on the shelves instead of drawers.

11. cranbrook2

cranbrook2 New Seed

Hi Lewis
    I think it is a great design.
    What did you plan on using for the rotating device?

12. wuming79

wuming79 New Seed

Hi John, thanks for visitng my thread. Actually I'm not sure what rotating devices are available. I was thinking of using those metal ball-bearing type. I was going to ask my contractor what they plan on using too. They haven't give me their quotation for the renovation though.

I'm also concern about the hinge to be used for the supporting leg at the end of the panel. Eileen mentioned about the folding gate legs, but the direction doesn't seems to be able to fold in the direction that I wanted. Is there any kind of hinge I can use to strengthen that part of the joint?

13. cranbrook2

cranbrook2 New Seed

Hi Lewis
    I was thinking for the rotating piece you could use what they use for lazy Susan's .
    They can hold lots of weight.

As for the hinges
    I think piano hinges would work well.
    They are strong and they would keep things from twisting around.

14. wuming79

wuming79 New Seed

15. loontik

loontik New Seed

Mind i ask what kind of software are using to draw out the layout?

16. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Wuming79 we would love to see pic's of the project in progress and finished Please :) .