Need hedge; what is good to plant

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Rosegardens, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Rosegardens

Rosegardens New Seed

Hello my fellow gardeners. :setc_034: Soon i will be procuring the property next door to me, and planting a living fence is a relatively inexpensive way to go about keeping the thieves out of my yard and making it pretty. I am torn between a few different things. Sterile rose of sharon (I cannot seem to find for a very good price anywhere--need too many) some sort of evergreen bush, not a tree, or the damask rose or Red Robin Hood rose.

Aphids are a problem in my garden, so I want something that does not attract these horrible pests. There will also be veggies and strawberries nearby and the less I have to spray and treat for pests, the better.

What do you recommend? It would be fabulous if the plant is fast growing as well. I am in zone 5. :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Some quince have thorns

Rosa rugosa ditto for thorns

osage orange, the most tree-like but can be pruned short (and airlayers well).

Box a traditional hedge

Holly, another prickly tree that tolerates pruning

Now my personal favorite are contorted quince, they don't just grow thorns, they grow fish-hooks...

Frank likes this.
  4. Rosegardens

Rosegardens New Seed

the Osage-orange sounds perfect, except it is a tree........I need something with shallow roots. The trees on the property now are getting into my sewage system. Ah, but a wonderful plant that chases away bad buggie-boos. *sniffle* would be perfect if it were a shrub. maybe I can plant one in the farthest corner of the back of the yard though. Might solve a few problems, if it is not toxic to cats I could rub some on them to keep the fleas at bay rather than using an insecticide or at least bring some into the house and place around bedding, etc.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Rosegardens, welcome to GardenStew. For your part of Michigan you are either in zone 6a or 6b so any of these will do well.

Boxwood: As there are many species, a visit to your local nursery will provide info on what does well in your area as well as making a good hedge. Mine I let grow wild as it is not a hedge.

Bayberry: Lots of red berries and thorns, keeps people out. The thorns not the berries. :) I stay out of mine.

Japanese Holly: The base gets thick but if kept trimmed should be O.K.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Lonicera nitida is another possibility you may want to look at. It can be grown shaggy or shaped into the "normal" hedge form.It requires little maintenance.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I think that you need to find something very hardy, as your weather is probably similar to mine here in Southern Ontario.
    Cedar hedges are very popular here as they are hardy, grow fairly quickly, need minimal care and are evergreen. This allows for year round privacy as well as a good wind screen that is important especially if on the NW side of the property.

8. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Osage Orange can be pruned into a hedge.

And the residue can be propagated...

9. gkwilsongardens

gkwilsongardens New Seed

I'm always a big fan of pyracantha species, evergreen, flowers, berries, thorns to deter burglars and encourages birds. Next I would choose berberis.

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Rosemary! Evergreen, fragrant, needs little pruning, shallow rooted. Can even be underplanted if needed.

11. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Hi Rosegardens, welcome from Kent County, MI.

Pyracantha as a non native works wonders as a protective hedge, Semi evergreen over here, and produce abundant orange berries,

Hawthorn (Crataegus) are small trees that can be pruned like fruit trees or Kept as a hedge. A few years back, when I worked at a local garden center, I had a woman that wanted to plant these under her soon to be teenage daughter's bedroom. Stating, I was that age once, No one is coming or going through that window.

Cedars or Arborvitae are very susceptible to spider mites if you don't keep an eye, they will be dead.

Privet and Dwarf burning bush are pretty common for hedges, Privet grows fast as can be cost effective.

Standard size Burning bush and Bayberry cannot be found in Michigan legally, as they are considered invasive.

Ron

12. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

My personal preference is for privet, although the fishhook comment about contorted quince has me intrigued! I'm not to sure I would ant to wake up in the morning to find a thief hopelessly hooked in one of my shrubs though!

13. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

jnieto0560 there is an old Scottish phrase:

"Beware the man who's smiling"

Contorted quince could make a mans day...

14. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

Coppice, You're cracking mu up! I love the fishhook description!