Need help with foundation planting, curb appeal!

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Cayuga Morning, May 6, 2012.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    view of house from street ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Existing foundation planting ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    View from driveway. That is a bed of pachies in front of house ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    View from street, area to right of house. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Area to right of house. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Blue hydrangea, deer-eaten yew, Andromeda ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Tiny strip of soil, Stella D'oro daylilies to right of front door ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Right angle of house, 2nd deer-eaten yew, andromeda, and baby 'Kings Gold Cypres ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Giant rhododendron 'Nova Zembla Red' ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

So, I would like to rehab the front foundation plantings. We have 2 yews that get demolished by deer every winter. They do grow back, but as you can see they look pretty ratty. In the middle is an andromeda that is leaning out from the house.

This side of the house faces north on a north facing slope, so there is not a light of sun. The house is a cape style, set back & up a steep hill from the road. Across the front is a hedge of euonymous that I try to keep trimmed. Too tall, and you can hardly see the house from the road because you are looking up hill.

I would appreciate any thoughts about what might help. We do not need any seating areas as we have plenty of terraced areas in back of the house (3).

Thank you for any ideas.

2. Loading...

3. designshare

designshare New Seed

You should add curve frame,colour contrast and coordinate combinations.

[​IMG]
    45 ( photo / image / picture from designshare's Garden )

4. designshare

designshare New Seed

River birch?it give you privacy enough,don't need more.Maybe I type plants name.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from designshare's Garden )

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My first thought was to get rid of the tall/dense shrubbery right next to your house... especially the Yew that the deers seem to love.
    But, if you really like them, is there room to move them to that wooded area to the right of your home?
    Then I'd put in open/airy flower beds.
    It looks like a beautiful home. I'd be trying to show it off instead of hiding it.
    Good luck and I hope you share your transformation with us. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. designshare

designshare New Seed

Frank likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Hi DS & Cherylad--

Thanks for your help. Cheryl, yes I think I will ditch the yews, and maybe cut the andromeda back by 1/3rd to 1/2. Hopefully it will survive such radical pruning. You are right it is hard to see the house, covered up by foundation planting. What would you think of planting two pencil-type shrubs, to the right and the left of the arch window?

DS--Thank you for your photo suggestions. They are gorgeous! The checkerboard is a cool idea, but way beyond my skill level! I like the idea of having more blooming stuff in the front. I will have to find plants that bloom in the shade. The front yard only gets only 1-2 hours of direct sun per day. All those trees in the front are white pines, and they shade an already shady lot (north facing).

Thank you to both of you. Food for thought.

8. designshare

designshare New Seed

The azaleas and the sarcococcas are plants that bloom in the shade.other plants that I suggested work too.You could add hostas,illiciums...and some bulbs too.

9. designshare

designshare New Seed

I try to soft much the straight line with curve.curb appeal and privacy should coordinate.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from designshare's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

D-S--I like your latest the best. The checkerboard was too busy for me, but this one does soften the straight lines. Thank you.