Need ideas for irregular granite slabs

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by GreenThumbChum, Feb 7, 2010.

1. GreenThumbChum

GreenThumbChum New Seed

I have free access to a ton of irregular-shaped 1" thick granite slabs, some have straight edges, some do not. The colors and patterns are endless. What you see in the photo is only about 5% of the inventory. I'm currently in the process of putting like colors together. Size ranges from the smallest to approx. 4' lengths, although they are rare. I've already decided to try my hand at a mosaic pattern for the countertops in the kitchen. How else can I make use of all this good stuff, not only in the house but outside? Can I use granite outside, or will moisture penetrate and crack it? Perhaps a walkway? Can I safely do anything with it on vertical walls?

[​IMG]
    granite ( photo / image / picture from GreenThumbChum's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. plantgoddess

plantgoddess Seedling

How lucky are you! Wish I had some valuable information to share, but you will have to accept my jealousy instead! I'd be staging it to create sitting and planting areas.

4. HeatherM

HeatherM New Seed

It looks like you have really struck a gold mine! From the picture, it looks like much of this has been treated and polished, in which case it would work well for table tops, planters, wall treatments, counter tops, trivets or vertical surfaces.
    I would stay away from using it as a walkway outside because of slip resistance issues. The polish would not be safe to walk on. However, if you flipped them over and used the unfinished side, a walkway would be nice.
    Using granite outside is fine, as long as you are ok with the natural character that is going to show as time goes on. The stone will take on a natural patina and look worn, or broken in, which is part of it's beauty. If this effect is not desirable, then keep it indoors.