Need opinions on replacing my interior balcony

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by cp760, Aug 27, 2006.

?

What would be the best combination for a new balcony?

1. Do the handrails and spindles in the same light stain as the exterior of the newel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Do the handrails in the lighter stain and use white spindles?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Do the handrails in the darker stain and the spindles in the lighter stain?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cp760

cp760 New Seed

I have an interior balcony in my home that I dispise. It is made of a rough-cut, cheap, poorly constructed, dark wood (the same exact stuff they used on our outdoor deck). Not very appealing for the style of our home. Our house has an open floor plan with cathedral ceilings and skylights etc. It's bright and contemporary...the balcony is very rustic.

Anyway, I have decided to use custom newels for the beginning of the staircase. Here is the newel: http://www.murphycreekcustomproducts.com/diamond.asp They are two-toned. My newels will have a very similar look as the sample attached. My problem is that I'm not sure what to do about the handrail and spindles. Most stairways and balcony's are either all stained or a mix of a stained handrail and white spindles. I thought that the stained handrail and white spindles would be nice and bright, but the white spindles might not match well with the custom newels. The next option would be to simply do the handrail and spindles all in the same stain as the exterior part of the newel (would that look too country?).

BUT...I had an idea and I want some honest opinions on whether it would look good - or hidious... :) It's usually customary for the handrail to be darker because it gets touched so much. WHAT IF I did the handrails in the same stain as the dark detail on the inside of the newel and do the spindles in the lighter exterior color of the newel??? I've talked to a few people and they said they have never seen a two-toned stained balcony/stairway.

If I did that, what color stain should I use for the other newel posts that are in the balcony? The lighter stain or the darker?

I guess I'm really looking for some honest opinions on what would be the best approach to redoing the balcony/staircase (the stairs themselves will stay carpeted).

All one stain? Stain mixed with white spindles? Two-toned stained handrail/spindles?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Before we decided to replace the balcany I thought that I would try to paint it and save the money of replacing it...bad idea - it shows every drop of dirt - and it's chipping. Here is a link to the pics of the balcony: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... 5169820405
    You don't need to sign in to view them.

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Carrie,

I would paint the spindles the same as the darker stain interior as the newel and the handrail the same colour as the outer stain of the newel. Speaking from a graphic design design perspective (although I'm no graphic designer) I makes sense to have consistency in design. Because the spindles are also an 'interior' part of the structure it would be consistent to mark them/flag them as an 'interior' object. Painting them the same dark clour as the interior of the newel would achieve this in my opinion.

My second vote would go to painting the spindles and handrail the same colour as the exterior of the newel.

The white spindles would not get a vote from me. I don't think that would fir in at all. In fact you would be introducing a third colour into the design of the staircase. Two colours should be enough.

Hope this helps and keep us updated ;)

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I also voted for the darker and lighter - I always enjoy the visual effect of that slight contrast in wood; I think the white would be too high of a contrast and detract from the overall line of the project... just my thoughts. Best of luck with your work!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Carrie,

Well just to be different I voted for doing the handrails and spindles in the same light stain as the exterior of the newels. I prefer one colour of wood for unification instead of the handrails in the darker stain and the spindles in the lighter stain.
    I agree with Frank and Primsong that white would definately be a no-no.
    Whatever you decide to do please post some photographs once you have finished won't you?

Advertisement
  6. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I voted all light. I think making the spindles dark would detract from the beauty of the posts. Here's a couple pics I played with.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

After seeing Pianolady's 'doctored' photograph I'm even more convinced that all light wood would be best as it looks good and lightens the area too making it look wider and airier. :-D

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

WOW PianoLady that makes me even reconsider my initial choice. That's a great point about detracting from the interior of the newels. Well done on the doctored images!

9. cp760

cp760 New Seed

Thank you all so much...especially for the computer rendered version. It's scary making such a huge decision! :) I think the all light might be the best choice.