Need some help with filling a spot in my garden

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Clay_22, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I have an area between some white pines that would like fill in. I'm in zone 6a and the area gets shade/partial sun. I'm thinking bushes or perennials. Some fresh ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Stewers.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

As soon as I hear the word "shade", I think of Hosta's :) There are so many different ones out there now that you could have a variety.
    How about a Rhododendron?

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Clay, do you have dry shade or moist shade? Dry shade is a very hard fit. moist soil is much easier to find plants for.

5. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I would say it's dry soil

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Clay, Hosta's will be your friend for this area, but you can add a few ferns to this area, depending on how dry this gets, like christmas fern, or Japanes painted fern, Epimedium, brunnera, lily of the valley, lenten rose...for ground covers. I am sure there are more, too. Or are you looking for shrub type growth? witch Hazel or maple leaf viburnum might work well for you, too. Have you thought of bulbs? they at least will give you some spring color then they go dormant for the summer not requiring much moisture during the hot dry months.

waretrop likes this.