Need your opinions on Verizon

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by marlingardener, Apr 27, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have been having a real problem with intermittent service from Verizon. We would like to change our internet server. Is anyone happy with their server or would not recommend a server to their worst enemy? Please give us your opinion and experiences! We need your help.

2. Loading...

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I use Firefox, don't know if that's available in the USA.

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I am not in North America. But even being on the other side of the world - I have heard many times, (from a lot of different people), how terrible Verizon actually is...

So they indeed must really be horrible beyond measure, if I am hearing about them all they way over here in Pakistan!

:snicker:

In my opinion, cable internet is always the absolute worst. Has way too much lag. They say it has superior uploads. But I never found it superior. Besides, most of the time (like 95%) we are downloading. So who wants to waste their money on allegedly faster upload bandwidth?

DSL provided by the phone company is very steady, highly dependable. They recently upgraded to fiber-optic DSL in my area now, (about 2 years ago). So it is very fast, with hardly any lag. However if there is a power outage anywhere between you and the telephone exchange. Then your internet can suddenly go dead... So the old DSL system was more reliable in that sense, (as it did not require any extra power). But this shortcoming has also been rectified by the phone company now - By placing their own back up power units alongside the fiber-optic backbone.

4G mobile internet is the most superior today, (about 4 to 6 times as fast as fiber-optic DSL). So when everything gets upgraded to 5G, nobody will ever want to touch a internet service provider like Verizon. Therefore their days are already numbered, (newer technology has already passed them by). And I'm sure they are aware of it. Which I guess explains their bad service, (why they are now neglecting everything). As everybody knows that even if they upgraded massively. They still won't be able to match any existing 3G or 4G mobile internet connection.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    marlingardener likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Whats the problem with Verizon ?? So far we have been pretty happy with it !!

Advertisement
  6. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

its possible your router or modem is faulty and rebooting every once in a while, which makes you experience connection issues. you should probably just call them and tell them that your having connection issues, they might just replace your modem or router.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Unfortunately Verizon is the only carrier in our area that gives 1/2 way decent service. We live in a hilly area.

Sorry, doesn't answer your question.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Sorry, From my experience both home and traveling Verizon has the best service for the western USA that isn’t in the city. Some areas TMobile is good. My son uses it and likes it. I understand they have more towers now, so check with your locality. It might be a good option.

Because of the volume of video calls lately I have been noticing drops on Zoom and sometimes YouTube. I live in town with high capacity internet service from Verizon. We also use repeaters in the house to boost the signal. With everyone using video I understand it has been a challenge for providers.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have had Verizon for years with no problems of any kind.

DogHouse, Firefox is a browser developed by an American company and released in 2002...we have been using it for many years.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, the problem with Verizon is that the service/reception is on again, off again. Since last June we have had three service calls, and not better reception.
    Cayuga, we are in a very rural area with no cable. The internet providers are very limited. We pay most of our bills on line. Internet is needed, necessary, and when it goes out, we have to spend hours on the telephone getting amounts owed and how to pay bills.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG,o dear, what a hassle.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    MG, have you thought of getting a WiFi booster? I know people who RV a lot swear by them. Never understood why if you are out traveling you want more connectivity but it certainly makes sense in your case.