Needed!! Seed starting advice!!

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by stratsmom, Apr 9, 2012.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I am a woman on a mission! I am going to start geraniums from seed if it kills me!! :D Carolyn and I were having a conversation and she mentioned a heat mat. I googled seedling mats and Holy Moly :eek: This looks way more difficult than I had anticipated! Any words of wisdom out there??? I've tried lots of seeds and had good luck, but never with all this hi-tech stuff :-?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Stratsmom, a heating pad, the kind used for our gardening aches and pains, works fine as a heat mat unless you are doing scads of seedlings (in which case get an electric blanket!). The horticultural heating pads are awfully expensive, but a heat pad isn't. Just make sure that it doesn't have an automatic shut-off feature. Wal-Mart sells one that doesn't.
    You'll get your geraniums from seed--with all the good advice and encouragement you'll get here, you will be up to your elbows in geraniums! :stew2:

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Deanna.... try not to read too much about it. It starts to sound complicated when it really isn't.
    I just use a regular old heating pad. The newer heating pads automatically turn off after two hours... kind of a pain... but a good safety feature.
    I set an aluminum pan on top of it. I then stick the seeds in little pots with regular old potting soil. I pour water in the aluminum pan whenever the soil feels dry. That's it!
    If I can do it.... so can you!
    :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Strats mom, I just PM'd you to tell you exactly what Jane and Cheryl told you...Plant ones are expensive, but a regular old heating pad covered to keep it dry will work just fine. Starting them is NOT hard. Poke the seed into the soil and water it in and set it on the heat mat cover the top with a clear dome cover, if you have one or use some saran wrap, but lift it each day to check on the seeds and as soon as they are up remove the plastic wrap. it is not hard. The heat is the secret to germinating them though.

7. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I've done this but it was a long time ago.It might be a little late. I think I started in Jan or Feb.Probably followed Stokes seed catalog instructions.But nothing ventured nothing gained,so if your heart is set on it go for it.I too use a regular heating pad .I have a pad made for seeds,too. Got it for about $20 on sale.
    OT I named my sister Deanna,60 years ago!
    Doris

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Thanks everybody!!! I can't wait to get off work tonight and go get supplies!!!! I really really hope I'm up to my elbows in geraniums!!! I had planned on starting them in 4 inch pots, should I just use those little peat squares? :-?

Toni I'm starting the zonals :p

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Deanna, Start them in a potting mix, but you don't need to start them in 4" pots. I save and start seeds in the containers for vegetables like the grape tomatoes and blueberries, etc. Works fine and doesn't take up as much space.

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I AM SO EXCITED!!! :smt026 I looked at my seeds last night and 7 out of 10 had sprouted!! In only 3 or 4 days!!! Thanks guys~ for all your help!!! :-D :-D :-D

Frank and marlingardener like this.
  11. cherylad

Way to go Deanna!!!! Consider yourself hooked on starting seeds now! :stew2:

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have started lots of seeds through the years but was afraid to try geraniums :'( Someone told me one time they were really difficult and I believed them :rolleyes:
    Now that I know how to do it I will order seeds EARLY next year and get started in February. This little project is kind of a late bloomer but I don't care~ I am thrilled!!! :p

13. cherylad

Sorry about that Deanna I was just so excited for you... okay I'll revise my statement to say... that you are now hooked on starting Geraniums!
    :stew2:

stratsmom likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Deanna, we have all learned not to listen to folks that say, "It's too difficult, it's hard to do, etc." Generally, they haven't tried it or are too lazy to give anything a go.
    Proud of you and your geraniums! When you are up to your elbows in geraniums, we expect you to get someone to take a picture of you, standing among your geraniums! :)

15. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

WILL DO!!! :-D