Needing info on a White Dogwood Tree in zone9A

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by cherylad, Jun 10, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My brother planted this tree in his yard and it wasn't doing well. so he dug it up and brought it to me.
    [​IMG]
    White Dogwood ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )
    I've done a little research and from what I gather it likes it a bit on the shady side and moist.
    Shade I can provide for it but keeping it moist will be a problem because of our hot, dry, drought ridden summer. And the best place to plant it will not be in easy-water-hose-range.
    Plus there's that fact that it's the absolute wrong time of year to plant a tree.
    So.... do I just keep it in this pot until Fall?
    Or do I go ahead and put it in the ground? Any information at all about this tree and how to tend to it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, It definitely is the wrong time of the year to transplant a dogwood, but as it isn't doing well already, is your brother expecting you to pull off a miracle? Otherwise I say plant it where you want it and set a bucket with a small hole in the bottom so it can drip drip drip to the roots and see how it does. I think dogwoods are fickle as it is. If it grows it grows. I have one and pretty soon it is going to be fire wood. It is in a semi shady area with a moist root zone and it looks terrible. It seems to have a blight and is struggling now.