Neighbors St Augustine Grass overtaking my yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by manibhat, Apr 21, 2009.

1. manibhat

manibhat New Seed

I have Bermuda grass in my yard. My neighbors recently put St Augustine Grass over their bermuda grass. Since there is no fence or metal separation of the yards a few blades of St Augustine Grass started to pop in my yard, so I just plunked it, but the situation seems to be getting worse. In a couple of weeks I could already see it overtaking my yard by 2-3 foot.
    I went to Home Depot asking for help, the answer I got from them was to literally get rid of the affected area and lay some new pallets of Bermuda grass.
    Is that my only option. Any inputs would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Manny

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. TadGhostal66
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Getting rid of what's there and putting in more Bermuda treats the immediate problem but is not a long term solution....it will happen again.

Being sure you are on the property line and not encroaching into your neighbors propery, hammer in metal edging like landscapers use around beds in business areas.
    It spreads by creeping stolons so it will fairly easy to see the runners as they grow over the metal edging. Hopefully your neighbor will pull them back or use a trimmer on them. There are some interesting lengths of garden edging you could pretty it up with too.

What ever you come up with, keeping the St. Augustine out of your yard will be something you and your neighbor work on together. Hopefully he/she is agreeable when it comes to doing their part.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. civicboyfl

civicboyfl New Seed

In order to contain St. Augustine you have to have something to block it. My guess would be something that is solid and goes at least 6 inches under ground and 6 inches above the top of the grass. I have St. augustine in my yard and keeping it contained is a weekly chore. It constantly wants to overtake the driveway, flowerbeds, and even the street.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

For the life of me, I can't understand why someone would perfer Bermuda to St. Augustine. Unless it is because of the grubs that St. Augustine has. IMO SA is a prettier grass! :p

Advertisement
  6. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Ancient thread but since its showing up topically I want to point out that a lot of weed killers will leave burmuda and kill St Aug and centipede. Sometimes it is just the quantity of herbicide (double) that does it.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I hate bermuda grass ! Its ok for pasture but give me SA any day ! I have both ! Not too bad if both grow together !