Never Did This Before, It's Difficult

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by KK Ng, Jul 28, 2019.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wanted to do this several times but was unable to do it. After doing lots of googling, testing and a few months later including another holiday in Japan, I finally did it yesterday … it's difficult, very difficult :sulk:

I have lots of expired seeds which was given to me in my very early days when I started my edible garden.

[​IMG]
    Expired ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :smt087:smt088:smt089

2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Sorting seeds? I bet it was a challege!

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Sjoerd tells me he makes mud (soil?) balls with them and pitches them into empty fields, etc. Give them a chance to grow, you know?

I am in the same position KK, lots of old seed packets, many of which were given to me by former gardeners. We all have trouble throwing out old seeds.

BTW good to see you here!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hey KK, long time no see!! Good to hear from you again.

I was going through all my excess seeds yesterday with the thought that "Really? Do I ever expect to plant all of these????" I am going to do what Sjoerd mentioned sorta. Mud balls ...but I am going to throw the sun needing plants all around the bare spots in my back garden and shade needing ones in the front to join the Lemon Balm in it's conquest of the shady parts of my garden.....and some in the H*** strip out front that is starting to fill up finally.
    And the bean and pea seeds I put in the bird feeder out front.

Can't throw them into fields, the owners will most likely not appreciate that and call the cops if they see me do it.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's amazing how long some seeds stay viable (other people's seeds--mine go into immediate hibernation.) If you sort out compatible seeds and make the seed balls, I bet you end up with plants.
    I echo Toni and Cayuga--glad to see you on the forum. We've missed you!

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yes Dirtmechanic it is a time consuming challenge.

Hi Cayuga Morning, thank you I never did left just not posting :) busy with other projects. I put them in the compost and if they can grow I'll transplant them :D There are weeds sprouting in the compost!

Hi Toni, yes it had been awhile good to be able to post again ;). Yes I did thought of that "Really? Do I ever expect to plant all of these????" Mud balls is not for me because there is no place for me to throw in my yard and there is no field nearby :D

Hi Marlingardener :):D:setc_083: Well according to google 5 years in general is the life expectancy of vegetables seed, mostly 2 to 3 years. Mine is more than 6 years:whistling: