Never started seeds indoors before...

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by DRayburn, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DRayburn

DRayburn New Seed

Hello,

I have bought some seeds and am looking into starting a few of them indoors this month. The problem is, I'm not too sure how to go about it. I have looked at the seed starting dates for my area on the Farmer's Almanac website, and think I have a plan in place. However, I don't really have a good place to put them in my house where they will get good light (and where my 17 month old will not be able to bother them). Any ideas?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome to the Stew! Starting your own seeds gives you a bigger variety to choose from, and it also gives us gardeners something to do when it's too cold/wet/nasty to get outside.
    You will need small containers (small plastic cups with holes in the bottom, or 6- or 9-cell units); a tray to set the containers in; sterile starting soil; and a cover, which can be a plastic dome or plastic wrap or a clear plastic bag.
    Fill the containers with soil, wet it thoroughly, plant your seeds at the depth suggested on the seed packet, cover the seeds with the plastic, and put them where they get indirect light. If you have an old heating pad (the kind used for aches and pains) or an electric blanket, you can use that for heat under the tray. You could also put the seedlings on top of a refrigerator or water heater. Bottom heat is not absolutely necessary, but it helps speed germination.
    When the seeds germinate and are showing their first leaves, take the cover off. At this point you may want to put them under a florescent tube hung about 3-4" above the seedlings. As the seedlings grow, you raise the light. If not, put the seedlings where they will get several hours of sunlight and turn them frequently so they don't lean in one direction.
    As to the 17 month-old, just try to keep everything high enough he/she can't reach it. If that isn't possible, send the toddler to the grandparents for the next two months! :D

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I set up my first seed starting area in December.Do a little reading in the Seed Starting forum here... lots of good information was shared.
    And it is great fun too! Please share your progress and successes.