New Adventure In Mushrooming

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by waretrop, Oct 2, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]

My friend asked me to come with her to find mushrooms. I know nothing about it but I am learning fast. I forgot the name of these but they are beautiful.

I hope someone will help me with the name and maybe what they would do with them to save some of them over the Winter.

I am cooking some tonight and want to save the rest. I also would like to find more.

KK Ng and Donna S like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's a good amount of fresh mushrooms Barb. Sorry I can't help with their name though.
    I would love to have someone who could give me the confidence to pick wild mushrooms without risk of poisoning everyone.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't know what kind those are Barb, but I know I have seen LOTS of them growing here! I am always too scared of wild mushrooms, except for the Morels and Puffballs that I am familiar with.

4. waretrop

Well, they were good tonight. I only made a little for this evenings dinner. I was told to boil them first and try them in small amounts to see if you are allergic to them. That is what I did. They were good and we are showing no symptoms.

I will go ahead and dehydrate all the rest of them tomorrow. Hope it works....

Advertisement
  5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Dehydrating for storage is a good idea. Mushroom risotto with scallops and clams is delicious.

6. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

Dehydrating is what I would suggest as well.

7. waretrop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have lots of store bought ones. Dried are kept in the box above and it they fill it. I also have canned ones and see the liquid, it's the broth. I use it for rice dishes when mushrooms are used.

I have never done this kind or wild ones. They are in the dehydrator now. They are smelling good.....

Frank likes this.
  8. waretrop

My dehydrated mushrooms. How do they look? It sure smelled good around here all day today.

[​IMG]

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow!!! That is a lot of mushrooms Barb. Mushroom omelette with parmesan cheese is great for breakfast ... yum!

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Barb, I don't know about your variety of mushrooms but I have been told some varieties need to be boiled first to leach out whatever chemicals they have that are harmful. If the broth is from your wild mushrooms you might want to check to see if this was the reason behind boiling yours first. (Couldn't tell from your post) You are for sure the Canning Queen. We could put you up for survivalist of the year.

Looks like you have lots of good eats there :stew2:

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Looks like you will have a good supply now. That's a lot of mushrooms.

12. waretrop

I soaked all mushrooms in salt water for an hour, rinsed, then boiled them for about 15 minutes. The only difference is that I normally use unionized salt but my friend gave me some normal when we went to pick this batch. I was wondering if that's why they were very dark.

The mushroom water that is canned is a second boil. I waited to can them till the next morning and boiled the mushrooms in the hot packing water to warm them up. That is just leftover water from that.

That's why I posted the finished product. Thought someone out there would have spotted that.

I have eaten a little the first evening after salting and boiling to see if we had any reactions to them. Waited 24 hours then went ahead. I have heard some are allergic rather than being poisoned.