New at this game

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Genevieve Perdue, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Genevieve Perdue

Genevieve Perdue New Seed

Hey new friends :) I've got the gardening bug BAD but live in a tiny 1 bedroom 2nd floor apt in SF so I'm doing what I can with a windowsill, growlight, and fan :p my non edibles (easy plants- some swedish ivy, spider plants, pothos, and peace lily) are all doing beautifully, but the edibles are having a harder time. Admittedly I'm trying to grow a few that are notoriously unhappy indoors (rosemary, strawberries)...actually gave up on the strawberries after the third wave of spider mites :( the rosemary isn't doing too bad, although I just found some infestation on them tonight which I washed off and then sprayed the plant down with some dr bronners and water. My thyme has been great and bug free but is really leggy and woody. I'm trimming it back but I fear it may be too far gone- I'm just not sure. My parsley (grown from seed) is lovely, although it has small spots on the leaves. I cant see that there are bugs on it and on the whole it seems to be thriving.

I've trolled the internet and invested in moisture readers to prevent over and under watering, a fan to circulate the air, a grow light to supplement the weak southern winter light from one window. I guess I'm just hoping to establish myself on here so I can ask for help when I need it (don't have many green thumbed friends). I feel like my instincts are under developed and at times I'm over fussing and then other times I'm under fussing :p I would so like to be able to grow some things that we can eat. It feels important to me to be able to do that, times being what they are. I also want my 2 year old to have a good understanding of where food comes.from despite growing up in the city (going well so far- he loves picking.leaves off the spearmint and munching on them ^_^)

So yeah, anyway hi! And any thoughts on the rosemary thyme and parsley are welcome (and yes I'm currently sprouting some sage too ^.~ gotta complete the set!) I've got pictures in this google photo album https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZXBQJW9sPdzqtJEy8

Growingpains, Frank and Jewell like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:wave: Hi there Genevieve and a warm Scottish welcome to our forums.
    We have quite a few members who grow herbs so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.
    Meanwhile take a look here to see if there is anything that will be of assistance to you.
    https://www.gardenstew.com/forums/herb-gardening.8/

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there and welcome ! Actually they look pretty darn good to me ! Mine are grown outside in spring and summer so I rarely even look at tiny spots as long as there are no bugs ! You might try misting the leaves every couple of weeks with water and about a half a teaspoon of epsom salts added to a quart of water ! As a rule herbs do best when grown in the same manner as weeds ! One thing your child may like is to plant some lettuce and spinach for salads ! Could even add a few of the mint leaves when the get large enough to eat ! Grows pretty fast and you can pick greens frequently as you eat the outside leaves the middle leaves replace them ! Long lasting crop !

Jewell likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome! Herbs are some of the most rewarding plants a gardener grows. Like Mart, our herbs are outdoors for most of the year, but come inside the barn for the three coldest months.
    Go ahead and cut your thyme back by about 1/3--if it is too much to use you can put some in a jar of water (pretty little bouquet) to use in the coming week or two, and dry the rest by hanging it upside down in a spot out of direct light but with good air circulation.
    Rosemary gets big, but easily starts from cuttings rooted in 1/2 perlite and 1/2 vermiculite. If you do the cuttings, ask about it here on the Stew and you'll get good advice.
    Your parsley looks great, and I'm so glad you have the flat-leaf Italian variety--lots of flavor, more so than the curly parsley.
    Now for the enabler part! Try basil--Genovese is a large leafed variety packed with flavor. Have you considered marjoram and/or oregano? Both are very flavorful and practically indestructible.
    You and your toddler are off on a great and tasty adventure!

Jewell likes this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

From the photos your plants are looking pretty good to me.

Jewell likes this.