New Bird feeder from old one.

Discussion in 'Woodworking' started by Tooty2shoes, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well here is my project that I just finished today and put up outside. I decided to get rid of the plat form feeder and go with a hopper type of feeder. That way the birds can't sit in it and poop and spread disease.

[​IMG]
    Feeder without roof. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

After I took the roof off I had to get the sheet metal skirting I had put around it to keep the squirrels out. Boy, what a job that was.

[​IMG]
    Roof and base of platform feeder ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )
    This is what I had to work with once the metal skirting was off. But then I tried to remove the roof supports that where attached in each corner of the base of the feeder. :eek: They wouldn't budge.The guy who I bought it from glued them plus screwed them in place. What did he think would be using the feeder. Elephants!
    So out came the hammer and after a few wackes I was left with this. Plus the roof and metal skirting.

[​IMG]
    roof supports and metal skirt. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )
    :eek: So I got busy and after a few mishaps with putting it together wrong and having to unscrew things and put them where they were suppose to go. Voila!! A new feeder from the old rubble.

[​IMG]
    New feeder from old one. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

I even made one side of the roof hinged so I can put bird seed into the hopper area.

[​IMG]
    Roof opened up to put in bird seed. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )
    Now all I have to do is put a piece of 3" flexible vinyl door seal on the roof so the rain can't get into the crack where it's hinged. If you look real close you can see a white thing hanging on the tree behind the feeder. It's a piece of suet sitting on a suet feeder I also made and attached to the tree. The woodpeckers are loving it. Thanks for checking it out.

Frank, eileen and donm like this.
  2. Loading...