New Fed canning quidelines?

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by sherenity, Sep 12, 2007.

1. sherenity

sherenity New Seed

Has anyone noticed while searching for new canning recipes all the info. that keeps coming up on all the new guidelines for canning,pressure cooker or cold packing and even preserving? Like Do Not Use fresh lemons ONLY the commercial packed real lemon juice? You Can No Longer pack and process in Olive Oil unless kept in fridge or frozen? There is just so many and almost everyone of their Don'ts I've done for over 20 years.It also states any recipe prior to 1994 should not be used? I went to UDAF State of Utah Department of Agriculture and Food website to verify it but they really didn't have much info. I'll call them today when they open to see if I can get more info. on it. Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed it or was aware of any other changes we should be aware of? :-?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't can foods so I haven't noticed the changes but I did start hearing about the need to refrigerate or freeze olive oil whether your preserved foods in it or not many years ago.

I would guess that one word has more to do with the new canning guidelines than anything....Botulism.
    It has always been with us, but with an increased population and lax sanitary conditions of the growers and pickers, it appears the instances of occurrence are increasing. Kitchen science has improved greatly over the years, I would go with the new guidelines.

4. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Ummm, I'm pretty sure my Ball Blue Book is older than 1994, since it was originally my mom's. Gotta say, I'm NOT gonna run right out to buy the newest edition. I can't imagine they would have really changed the recipes that much. Ball IS a canning company, after all.

5. toni

In 1993 Ball stopped production of all canning supplies and equipment, they spun that off to Alltrista Corp which is now Jarden Corporation, a seperate company. They are the ones who now create and publish the Ball Blue Book.
    Even they state in their FAQ section that the Blue Book canning guidelines in books previous to 1989 maybe outdated and could affect the safety and quality of home canned foods.

Advertisement
  6. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Good news!! I just checked the copyright date on Mom's Blue Book. It is 1994. So, I guess it is safe. Yay!

7. sherenity

sherenity New Seed

I just bought the new Ball Blue Book of preserving and yes it is different than my 1970's canning one. Wise investment for me!

8. toni

Glad to hear you bought the updated version Sherenity. Better safe than sorry when it comes to canning.