New Garden bed

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by lavenderfan, Jul 2, 2010.

1. lavenderfan

lavenderfan New Seed

So as you can see by my screen name that I LOVE lavender. I want to start a new plot with lavender and I'm debating whether to keep it all lavender or if I should put another plant in the centre. If I do put a plant in the centre, what should it (or they) be?

Any ideas?

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Hi :wave: I like it too but have been too afraid to try it! :D However, BiMart had some white lavender and I couldn't pass it up! I think it would be neat to plant a bed full of nothing but lavender! There are SO many different types you'd have quite a variety!

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I've always thought Lavender and Roses get along well...
    in any case, there will be a nice scent in the air. Love Lavender :stew2:

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd go along with Stratsmom's suggestion and put in different colours and varieties of lavender in the whole bed. You'll make the bees and butterflies happy too if you do. :-D

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    There are such a wide variety of lavenders I do like the idea of purposely planting a selection of them. That is what has happened as I have expanded my lavender bed. But it is random because they never seem to be properly labeled. Planting a variety intentionally with different shapes, sizes and colors could be very lovely.

Plants that I have growing with the lavender are California poppies (I like the orange and purple together) and Malva moschata (Musk Mallow). The mallow has nice height and has also naturally seeded in the same bed. It blooms all summer.

I am sure there are a lot of drought tolerant plants that would love growing with the lavender. Maybe others will have some ideas.

7. lavenderfan

lavenderfan New Seed

Thanks for the replies! :)

I've heard of roses and lavender as well, but roses don't seem to like my area. I'll probably go with different varieties of lavender. I have a Red Kew and a Creek Goodwin in pots but those are both "tender perennials" and need to come inside for our zone 5 winters, so I can't plant those outside.

I've been outside working that patch up today. I don't have a tiller so I have to do it all by shovel. Hard work! I don't mind. My 10 yr old daughter just says, "But think of all the beautiful lavender we'll have!" She's really starting to enjoy gardening this year! lol :D