New garden - new pond

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by devonpete, Jan 14, 2007.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

A couple of progress pics...I spent most of yesterday adding the finishing touches to my 'back of the cobbly beach culvert' feature. It's certainly added some life to the overall pond design. (Oh, and the ugly blue contraption at the right is my plunge pool. As I'm a naturist, I can't live without that in the summer for cooling off. At some point I intend to wall around it with a less unsightly screen of rustic rush fencing to knock it back a bit.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I just need to finish off the pond edge next to the path and grass. I think a narrow cement edge might do it, embedding at the same time the cut edges of the liner. The cement edge will need to be at least wide enough to take the outside wheel of my mower, or cutting the lawn will be a problem.
    The broken slab on the rough grass bank is where a simple plank bridge might go across. Haven't decided on having one or not yet.
    Pete

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Looks even better up close. I can see the little lights installed in the second photo, can't wait to see those babies lit up. I really hope you get your fish problem sorted Pete.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh I thought your pond looked great before Pete but now I think it looks superb!!! :D I love the culvert feature as it finishes the beach end off really well. I,like Frank, would love to see it when it's lit up. :-D Have you decided on what kind of planting your going to put in yet?

4. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

I'm not decided yet about plants. My knowledge of them isn't great. I suppose something which has a sort of wildness about it might be appropriate - maybe even mixed wild flowers. A chunk of seathrift would be in keeping somewhere.
    I tried those little spots out last night and it did nothing for me much. Just a small area of eeriness about them. Plan B is to use four mains spots I have going spare, which I could house in a weatherproof box just below the conservatory window (ie not seen from inside the conservatory). They can then pick out four areas of interest. If the colour lenses I have for the small spots can also be used I'll then maybe have a more impressive result.
    The other problem I found is photographing at night - everything comes out blurred - anyone got any suggestions? I've probably not got the setting right. I use a digital Olympus C3000 zoom.

Advertisement
  5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Pete, what wonderful work you do. Makes me want to come out of retirement and hire you. We can build bi-contintental ponds.
    BTW, what is titivating?

6. eileen

Ah Jan that's a purely British saying!!! :p Titivate means something along the lines of 'to make pretty or decorate usually by adding a few interesting touches. I titivated my Christmas tree when I added ornaments to it. :-D

7. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

No wonder I had never heard the word. No one ever titivated anything when I was in England, I guess.

8. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

There you are Jan. You could use the word 'titivate' in conversation a lot this week, and flummox your friends. :-?
    Pete.

9. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Ah, so titivate and flummox are perfect examples of onomotopaeia at work.

10. eileen

:D :D

Just in case you want to know the definition for flummox too Jan - to astound or surprise. :p I think Pete and I could come up with some real hum dingers for you!!! :D

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I knew flummox, it was titivate that flummoxed me.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Ya'll three out way over yonder for fixin up all those rednecks to reckon wid don't ya'll see.I'm jest a pondering on all ya'lls new words; :rolleyes: :D

13. eileen

Definately Glenda - whatever you say!! :rolleyes: :D :D

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

:D Was to funny to resist sorry :oops:

15. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Glenda - you've possibly never heard of one of our biggest national comedic treasures, Mr. Ken Dodd, but he would have been tattyfilariously keen on joining in, and probably get the better of all of us.
    Please don't ask what 'tattyfilarious' means as I don't think Ken knows himself. But he made an awful lot of money from saying it! :(