New gardeners need help!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Simple Gardening, Apr 30, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

First of all, congratulations on what you have already achieved! Tomatoes specially are looking really nice! So excellent job!!!

:setf_016:

Now the reason why jalapenos aren't doing so well. OK, I too like jalapeno a lot, but, no matter what I do, I just haven't had much luck with them whenever I planted them from seeds.

Since they are native to Mexico, I assumed that my soil wasn't suited to them. Or maybe my climate, which is always mercilessly hot, humid, and salty, (because of the Arabian Sea just across the road).

Other times I suspect that maybe seeds traveling all the way from Mexico to my country must have acquired a fungus infection - Whatever the reason, jalapeno just don't do well in my garden...

However, other local chilis, and Joe E. Parker specially does very well over here. So I am guessing, that chilli seeds need to be very fresh. Otherwise they don't do well. Which I guess explains why all the other chilis which I grew do great - Because I collect their seeds when they become overripe on the kitchen counter.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible to do with jalapenos. As all of them are imported, and always pickled, (so their seeds are more or less useless).

You guys are in the United States, so if you can get fresh jalapenos, (not pickled), and let them ripen over the kitchen counter. Then I am sure you'll have great harvest from fresh seeds.

But, this is just a guess on my part. It could very well be that some incests are causing their health to suffer. Spider mites for sure are always attacking my chilis...

So this brings me back to what I had suggested before in this thread. Making a bug trap from petroleum jelly around your plants. To catch a few of them in the act - And so hopefully identify them. Otherwise we are just tapping in the dark. Because we need to know exactly what we are fighting against. Or the bugs will keep on enjoy everything before you.

What's happening with the strawberries is not the cause of any incests, at least I don't think so. It's more likely that birds are taking them away.

If my hunch is correct about the birds, then as soon as your tomatoes start to turn red - They too will also start to disappear... Believe me, birds are excellent when it comes to spotting color from above. So as soon as they see even the tiniest about of red in the green - They waste no time in attacking it.

How to control this from happening, I also suggested before, (hanging old CDs and DVDs from a string above the plants). As that works better then any scarecrow.

Everything else looks fine. :smt023 However you guys definitely need more marigolds, specially around the carrots.

And the Dwarf Sunflowers, I guess their seeds haven't sprouted yet. But by my estimate they too should have been about 3 to 5 inches tall by now... Anyway once they start flowering, and the good pollinating insects start arriving. Then you will notice a dramatic shift regarding pest control, (as good incests often drive away the bad ones). But until then, consider Neem tree oil and other extracts.

One suggestion though, your yard should have a lemon tree, or at least 2 key lime bushes. I mean, since you are working so hard on vegetables - You guys should also be enjoying some citrus too.

:cool:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Simple Gardening likes this.
  2. Simple Gardening

Simple Gardening Seedling

Thank you @S-H , we really appreciate all your knowledge and help!!
    It is reassuring to know that other gardeners struggle with certain crops as well. We will keep experimenting with the jalapenos. That idea of using fresh seeds sounds good.
    We definitely took note of your previous suggestions on pest control, such as the old CDs and petroleum jelly and neem oil, just haven't been able to implement them all. More marigolds are something we talked about also soon (wish we would have bought more to start with).
    Some of the dwarf sunflower seeds have sprouted and are maybe an inch or so tall. We will have to try and show them in the next video so you can see and let us know what you think.
    Ooh, fruit trees sound like a very fun idea!
    Thanks again!!

S-H likes this.
  3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I would be excited too if I had radishes like that. Mine are small. If you want your radishes to have more of a bite, don‘t water before harvesting.
    The onions will not be ready for a few months yet. When the onions start to get ready, the trunks will fall over. The leaves will then start to dry out. By this time, you should notice the bulbs have a decent size.
    Carrots can be fiddly, firstly they prefer sandy soil to grow big roots. Secondly, the seeds need to be Almost constantly wet, if they dry out too much between watering, they will never grow. You could plant carrots up until the beginning of August. I always mix radishes with the carrot seeds so that when I plant them the radishes grow faster and shade the carrots, and when one harvests the radishes, this leaves space for the carrots. Carrots take ages to grow big. They could also have trouble with the mulch, so I like to clear away the mulch an inch or too, until they are established.

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Orange tree, or lemon, or limes, even grapefruit, all compliment the vegetables. And in return vegetables compliment them - As they both keep attracting all the good pollinators to the garden, all year round.

Good pollinating insects often drive away other harmful insects which cause trouble. So that's why I suggested attracting honeybees. Citrus trees and bushes are great at attracting bees and butteries.

Also, birds like to nest in fruit trees. And so if one family builds it's nest. They will keep all the other birds away from intruding into your garden. So a bird feeder for them, would be payment enough. And they in return will protect not only your yard, but that of your neighbors too.

Yes, all birds are very territorial. Specially during nesting season. So if we plan it correctly, we can make the birds work for us! As their nesting season is also our vegetable growing season.

Owls for example don't harm your vegetables, (as they are meat eaters). So at night they keep hunting all the rodents in your area.

It could very well be, that mice night be eating away your strawberries, not birds...

Anyway, owls are birds which often hunt during the night. While in daytime, other scavenger birds will stay away from your garden also, (as they by instinct will know not to come near any family of hunting birds).

Birds have long term memory too. So if they have a good experience in your yard. They, (and later their grown chicks), will keep returning to your yard, year after year. And all the other scavenger birds which will keep receiving a beating from them - Will also remember not to go anywhere near your yard.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020

Advertisement
  5. Simple Gardening

Awesome info, thanks @Odif !
    We'll definitely try mixing carrot and radish seeds, sounds like a great use of space!
    Good to know about the onion, lol, that part was pretty funny in the video.
    Thank you!

Odif likes this.
  6. Simple Gardening

Hi everyone!
    Hard to believe it has already been a couple weeks since we last posted! Busy, busy, busy.
    Anyway, we hope everyone is well and your gardens are doing great! We are seeing some success and we are so grateful for all the guidance everyone here has provided!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

S-H and Odif like this.
  7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Well done, your veggies look fantastic.

8. Simple Gardening

Thank you @Odif !
    It wouldn't have been as likely without you and the other experienced gardeners here!
    We appreciate you!

9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

First of all, congratulations! As you now have a successful vegetable garden! Both you started out during the Coronavirus lockdown - As you guys correctly realized the need for self sustainability of food. So congratulations again, as this means that the mission is now accomplished! Never again will you guys ever go down to zero level...

In my childhood, (I think I was either 11 or 12), I saw a documentary on TV about the Siege of Stalingrad in World Was 2 - Where people had no option left but to eating dead Dogs, cats, and other domestic animals. However after they too were gone and winter set in. People started eating anything they could chew, (from sawdust, to even their own dead people).

I never forgot that documentary. As it played a major part for me becoming a doomsday prepper when I was in my mid teens...

Oh and the Dwarf Sunflowers only growing on the North side can only mean one thing - Birds picking them away from all the other sides. Which is why I urged you guys to hand old CD atoat several different places over your bed.

You guys placed the trellises on the North side, and birds instinctively assumed that it could be a trap, (also that side is closer to the house, where humans dwell). So they left these Dwarf Sunflowers alone.

Anyway, now you guys have enough experience to grow anything you like! Just save the seeds of whatever was successful grown. Do you can plant it next year.

Food that you grow this way yourself, will always be ultra fresh, and free from all types of pesticides sprayed on commercially available vegetables. So congratulations on achieving this most important thing!

:smt038

10. Simple Gardening

Thank you @S-H !
    We truly appreciate all the advice and support you've given us!!

S-H likes this.
  11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

You're welcome - But honestly, no thanks is required.

:D

If you are really grateful for all the support and encouragement you got here, and wish to give something back. Then find others in your area, and inspire them to start doing exactly what you did - Your wonderful YouTube videos are proof that anyone can do this!

:smt023

Also become regular active members over here at GardenStew!

:cool:

Frank and Simple Gardening like this.
  12. Odif

Odif Young Pine

MY observation of your garden is that there is a lot of unused space. I would plant maybe something like bush beans to harvest green beans. They are fast growing plants. July is a good month for planting many things and often the last chance before winter.

Simple Gardening and S-H like this.
  13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I too noticed that Odif, so you're right. But I thought that it's their first year at gardening, (so didn't wish to give them yet another information overload).

:rofl:

Also, we still don't know exactly what type of bugs are eating away some of their plants... So that needs to be investigated first, before any new plants are placed.

Anyway I think Eric and Fendi's time would be better spent of they built some type of a PVC structure over their bed. That way they would only need to cover it up with clear plastic, making it into a basic greenhouse - Which should enable them to continue gardening during the winter also.

So whatever they couldn't grow this time. They will easily make up for during the winter months!

PVC structures are cheap and very strong, maintainance free also. When covered with clear plastic, they become a greenhouse. While during the summer months, strings can be attended to such a structure - Making it into a trellis. Lights and sometimes showerheads can be attached also.

It's literally multipurpose, and just needs to be made once. Then never again. So this solves a lot of different headaches which everybody eventually encounters down the road.

Another serious advantage is that when covered with clear plastic. The problem of birds picking away the seedlings, or pests invading - Is also controlled to a great extent...

14. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I agree with @Odif got some empty spots? plant more seeds! I have some empty spots in my garden that i need to fill as well.

^ watch this video for some ideas of what to plant around this time of year.

and start harvesting, pick all the peas (if you don't the plant won't produce more), my god that lettuce is huge! eat it.

Simple Gardening and Odif like this.
  15. Simple Gardening

Lol, yes, we were actually talking about that a few days ago. We thought maybe we could ask for planting ideas for the empty spaces in the next video! You all are so good that you're thinking of our questions before we can ask them! Lol!
    Thanks all!
    Also, thanks @adam.ca for the response about the peas!
    We've been picking lettuce leaves for salads and sandwiches regularly but there is just so much, lol! (A good problem to have)
    :)

S-H likes this.