New gardeners need help!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Simple Gardening, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Simple Gardening

Simple Gardening Seedling

Thanks everyone, yes indeed, lots of pea advice here :)
    So I looked at the seed packet and it doesn't really seem to say how tall it gets.

I guess we will play it by ear and support the plants as they grow with something homemade. Unless anyone happens to know more about this variety based on the packet.
    We really appreciate all the feedback!

Attached Files:

S-H likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd never heard of this pea variety, so I did a quick search. According to Burpee this variety is "self-supporting". I'd take that with a grain of salt, and provide some support when the pea vines get to about 3"-4" tall.

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

The structure built from PVC pipes and joints, (showed in a video in one of my previous posts here) - Is not only cheap, but also completely weather proof. So you can continue to use it year after year. As well as adjust it to suit your own needs.

Just create ones, and there won't be anymore headaches down the line. You can drape it with plastic sheet during rain and thunderstorm to protect your plants, (which won't be easy if you built something from discarded twigs and tree branches)...

PVC is really the best, cheapest, and longest lasting! And not just for peas, but for tomatoes and other plants which require support.

Best of all, you can hang old and wasted CDs or DVDs from it also. To keep the birds from picking your seedings. As birds are more scared of a shiny metallic object floating and swaying in the breeze, then a scarecrow...

You can even run a water pipe through it with showerheads. For plants like chilies, which enjoy showering, (they actually taste hotter if you do that).

You can also place lights in it too, even solar garden light if you want them running for free, (no electricity shock hazard either with LEDs charged by solar energy during the day)!

[​IMG]

So no matter what scenario we think up of, PVC keeps on coming at the top. It doesn't even rust or decay, nothing in nature can attack it. So just one simple structure made from PVC has way too much utility! And I say again, it lasts forever, (so extremely cheap in the long run). Another advantage is that it can be taken apart and put in storage - And it won't take up much space when not in use.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Simple Gardening likes this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

The peas say self supporting. This means they don’t grow very tall, so they don’t need support or at least a small support. I managed to make a you tube account and I am now subbed to your channel.

Advertisement
  5. Simple Gardening

Thank you Odif!! We truly appreciate that!
    Sounds good on the peas

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it is a 28"-32" tall pea. fairly self supporting. but I would still give it some pea fence or brush to give it some support. fairly quickly (after one picking) it will fall down and collapse on itself just from pulling it apart to get to peas down inside.

7. Simple Gardening

Thanks carolyn!

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You didn't ask, but I thought you might be interested. Peas fix nitrogen in the soil, so if you follow your pea plants with a nitrogen loving vegetable like lettuce, you will be helping your second crop.

9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I already said that, about nitrogen and peas, (on the 2nd page of this thread) - But of course, who listens to me anyway...

:snicker: :smt005 :smt044

10. Simple Gardening

Plants really are so amazing!

Odif and S-H like this.
  11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

In my opinion, nature is amazing. Doesn't matter if we are looking at something extremely tiny through a microscope - Or at something gigantic through an astronomical telescope - It is always am amazing yet humbling experience...

This is why I like this community so much, as everyone over here is in touch with nature - Which unfortunately, I don't find elsewhere.

You Eric and Fendi have actually just started a most amazing journey in your own yard. You will now realize how easy it is working with nature. And how difficult it becomes, when we try to fight it. So in all of this small scale experimenting, you will actually be repeating what our ancestors also did in their own yards.

Civilization actually started from collective farming and domestication of livestock. Which to protect from harm, fences and boundaries were invented. First to keep out wild creatures from destroying your hard work. But later it also led to the introduction of laws, and protection of individual and private property rights.

This created jealousy between neighbors, (something which sooner or later you too will experience), and later animosity between city states - Until finally empires emerged out of this. Who engaged in trade as well as wars. All because of resources. As everyone wants their future to be secured first, (nobody wants to run out of food and other luxuries).

The bases for all this was exactly what you are now repeating in your own home - Farming and cultivation!

Even now, or in the future, things aren't likely to change. As one of the main objectives to achieve when it comes to space exploration and colonization - Is agriculture beyond Earth...

You guys probably did not realize the scope of what you are now undertaking. It really is far bigger then what you had initially imagined.

:cool:

See this link also:

https://www.sciencealert.com/china-has-just-grown-the-first-plants-on-the-moon

A bit off topic I know, but Civilization was my favorite PC game during my teens.

:D

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Simple Gardening and Odif like this.
  12. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Simple Gardening and S-H like this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

you are right S-H! no one was listening :smt081. but truthfully we sometimes need to hear it more than once.

14. Simple Gardening

Yes, we are all truly on a grand adventure together! (Yes, we've definitely caught the bug!) :) It is great to have allies such as all of you! Thanks everyone!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    S-H and Odif like this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ahhh, so nice of you, Simple. Let's all travel the garden path together.