New house with shabby front yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Mrs.Eyring, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I'm still a gardening neophyte, so I don't have a lot of suggestions. But I LOVE the potential of this garden. I think it could be just gorgeous with the right kind of plants and shrubs.

One thing I can comment on, is that no matter what you plant, I would get rid of that border pronto! It does NOTHING to contribute to the look of the garden, other than differentiating it from the lawn. Rip that sucker up, and replace with some pretty stones or bricks of some kind. That alone would make the front garden look more attractive once you've gotten rid of the weeds.

2. Mrs.Eyring

Mrs.Eyring New Seed

So... Under all the weeds and grass is old mulch. can I still do the box method? or Does the mulch need to come up?

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You can leave the mulch. It'll break down eventually and will help your soil.

4. Mrs.Eyring

Mrs.Eyring New Seed

Thank you guys so much!!!! :-D

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Mrs.Eyring---You might take a look at the soil underneath the mulch. If it is very poor or mainly sand, you might want to add a layer of compost on top before you put the cardboard down. Just lay it on top of the weeds, then the cardboard, then the new mulch.

My other thought is that you may want to find out what those shrubs are before you just yank them out. Maybe they are something worth keeping or worth transplanting elsewhere. Maybe they bloom in the spring, for example. A garden center should be able to identify them for you if you take a branch in. Good luck!

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga's suggestion is a very good one. If you do take a branch into a gardening center, make sure it is enclosed in a sealed clear plastic bag. Just in case, if there is any disease/bug involved, garden centers are very sensitive about that!