New Junque from anniversary trip 2013

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, May 28, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Okay, here goes...after 6 pretty intense days of foraging though a junk barn, too many Antique Malls to remember and a couple of just plain Junque stores here are the results of my efforts.

Left to right, bicycle wheel, other wheel, oil can and old fence piece.
    The bicycle wheel will have the spokes painted (rim left rusty) and hang from a tree limb in the north shade bed,
    the other wheel I don't know yet, the oil can has a hollow handle which will slip down over a mop handle sticking in the ground and planted in. The fence piece will be hung from the porch over hang and hopefully will have a vine on it later.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The piece standing in back is part of an old baby bed but will soon support a Blaze Rose out back, the childs school chair will be a plant stand and the childs lawn mower will have a vine of yet to be determined species climbing up the handle.
    [​IMG]

The feeder needs a top and will then be mounted to something and filled with birdseed.
    [​IMG]

The corner shelf goes in my shed when it's built, the rake will be part of a bird feeder, the hoe heads and plow thingy will be part of a garden border.
    [​IMG]

These milk crates will either be used in my closet to help get it organized or will become plant stands....but at only $5 each I couldn't pass them up.
    [​IMG]

The two towers will go into pots of Blackeyed Susan vines and the ashtray stand is going to have Lathyrus odoratus (Sweet Pea) growing up it next spring.
    [​IMG]

The stand will hold a planter of course, the piece of tin was just too cool and will be propped up among some plants somewhere and the other thing is a small handled sieve.
    [​IMG]

Three gardening books, an oval enameled pan, a patchwork black cat, 3 louver slats, a small lamp base. a snowman on a star and a pretty doodad on a chain.
    [​IMG]

And a new bird for the garden.
    It's made from a spade head, two small rake heads, some sort of tool for the head and the stand is an old plow disc.
    [​IMG]

This was called a birdhouse but since it's open on both ends I'm not too sure it would actually be used as one. I am thinking I will see if my oldest daughter would like it, she likes the shabby chic look in her bedroom.
    [​IMG]

Some things to use in the shed when we get it built
    and the old tools will be door handles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got 10 more of the wood fence pickets...those were on my shopping list and the wheels but everything else just sort of called out to me as we walked by. ;)

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yes! We finally get to see your latest finds!
    I like all of your ideas... especially using the oil can on a stick.
    And a feeder being used as a feeder? Who ever heard of such a thing! :D
    Great find on those metal baskets... they are so handy for all sorts of things.... I got a good stash of the plastic ones, but they just don't look as cool as the metal ones.
    I like those towers... almost too cute to be covered up with a vine.
    Love the bird too!
    I'd say you had a pretty good haul.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I knew your would like my finds.
    Since the pickup truck bed is uncovered we have a cable and lock to secure all my finds while we are traveling. Monday morning at the hotel in Nacogdoches, Randy went to the truck to get something and found scratches on the side of the truck bed where some one had grabbed some of the things and tried to take off with them but when the cable jerked them back they scratched the paint. That's the first time it's happened but with the price of scrap metal they probably thought they could make some money.

Oh, yeah, we were in a new shop in Greenville when the owner lady came up to Randy with a pair of scissors saying she was there to give him a haircut. He started letting his hair grow longer at my request, his hair was longer than mine when we first started dating. Anyway, this lady decided that she didn't like long hair on men and figured she could take matters into her own hands. :eek: Randy gave her a "if looks could kill" stare and I made jokes (aimed at her)...she finally turned around and went back to the front desk. I bought the crates and we left. Randy left a comment about her on Yelp.com

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I love the bird Toni. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that such a piece could exist. Great haul!
    Your truck must have been pretty full :eek:

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So was there any junque left after you'd finished buying? :D You find the coolest things to put in your garden Toni. If only we had junque like that here. The nearest we have are reclamation yards but everything is sooo expensive. You must show us your finds once they are in your garden.

7. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I love the bird :) Very creative! The other wheel could be set up in your garden to spin with a little Toni skills to make it work. Like those spinning flowers. :) Good luck have fun playing with your finds!

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That's very smart of you to lock up your new treasures in the truck bed. Darn lazy-butt thieves (almost).
    Ohhh. Greenville... I went to school not far from there at East Texas State in Commerce (now called Texas A&M/Commerce).
    I never liked going to Greenville... in my 4+ years there, I think I went maybe three times. The nerve of that lady treating a customer like that. Probably the owner so you can't get her fired, huh?
    :twisted:

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds Toni. I giggled when I looked at the 4th photo ... it could have been taken HERE. I have all that stuff LOL