New Landscape, need some advice

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by mwright1978, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mwright1978

mwright1978 New Seed

My wife and I went out on a limb and relanscaped our bed ourselves. We are unsure about a couple things and need a little advice.

In the middle of the retaining wall is a jap maple but it has full sun exposure and we are learning that it will burnout. So what else can we put there that won't block the spiral? We would like another very small tree there.

Also, what do guys think about the weeping cherry in the other corner. Does it look stupid. That area actaully gets morning sun and afternoon shade, (perfect place for the Jap maple, huh) but there might be too much red in one area with the burberrys.

Just looking for some thoughts from some people more familiar with this. We love everything except for the corners. Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hi mwright, welcome to the Stew.

I think that you and your wife have made a wonderful start. :)

The rock wall is a beautiful feature, and the spiral-cut tree is a lovely focal point.
    My instinct would be to let it be the only tall plant in that part of the bed
    and to carry over the reddish shade with something lower growing,
    perhaps another Burberry, or several dwarf Nandina for a "feathery" texture
    and bright red berries late in the season (if those will grow where you live).

Personally, I don't think that the Burberrys are "too much" at all in combo with something green,
    in fact, I find your use of red, green, grey and golden foliage color very attractive.

I actually think that it would be good to move your Maple to another location,
    where it can be a focal point too, and not compete with the spiral.
    You don't say what part of the world you live in,
    some of the members here have fabulous Japanese Maples growing in full sun,
    but I know that here, in southeast N. Carolina, full sun is a bit too fierce for mine. :?

I think the weeping cherry has just the right softening effect for that corner . . . today,
    I only wonder if it will outgrow the space? Of course, I don't know the specific variety
    you have planted, or it's specific growth characteristics, so it could be just fine,
    but I have a weeping cherry tree that hubby and I planted 10-12 years ago
    and I really wish I had chosen a different location for it. :rolleyes:
    It easily measures 15 feet tall and about 30 feet across the canopy already,
    and just keeps on growing wider and wider.

4. mwright1978

mwright1978 New Seed

we are in Buffalo NY. I got the maple at a chance it might survive, since i only bought it for $20. I did not want to take a chance with a more fully grown maple qhich can run up to $200 here. That is why I was wondering if something else would be nice there. SOmething small, like a small or medium shrub?

5. bradytimes

bradytimes New Seed

I don't know what grows well in Buffalo. As a general rule of thumb though, you can lower your heating and cooling bills by planting a large deciduous tree on the south-west side of your home and an evergreen to on the north-west to shield your house from the cold winter winds. I think having a nice shade tree in that spot will really "frame-the-view" of your house as well.