New Person

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Capt Kirk, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I just joined this morning. I am retired from the US Navy after serving for 22 years, hence my user name, although I was an enlisted person. Ever since Star Trek first came on TV, I was called Capt Kirk. I like woodworking and some gardening when the weather cooperates, which it didn't this summer. My current wood project is building a solid wood model of the HMS Victory. Benn on it for about a year so far and have the hull almost completly shaped. :D

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Captain Kirk!!! :)

22 years in the US Navy - wow - you must have some wonderful tales to tell. Any photographs of you during your years of service by any chance? I love to drool over sailors. ;) ;)

Your model of HMS Victory sounds as though it is going to be a very rewarding venture. How much longer do you think it will take you to complete? I love hand-crafted scale models. :D What size will it be when it's finished? Have you made any other models, and if so, what are they? Oops sorry, getting carried away here and asking too many questions as usual. :oops:

Welcome to GardenStew and I hope you enjoy our forums as much as we all do. BTW I am the only sane one around here!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The only sane one around here. I like that, thank you very much. I'm not the one who has to walk home from Holland because they bought too many plants! :D Dooley

5. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Hi everyone! Eileen, this is the first wood model I have tried. Bought the plans for it back in the 70's. I did try it doing plank on plank, but had too many problems so scrapped it and went with solid wood. I also do some wood carving and this is more like carving. Don't know how long it will take me as it has taken a year to get this far. Should speed up somewhat as winter gets here. I will have to look for some pics! Hahahahaha :D

6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hey Capt, get ready to set sail with the GardenStew crew :D

Your woodworking skills sound superb. I saw a programme on people who make scale models and there was some mind-blowing stuff on there. I had to take my hat off to them.

Hope you can find some pics 8)