New squash and tomato farmer! Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Shoobiefarmess, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Shoobiefarmess

Shoobiefarmess New Seed

Hi! I'd love advice on creating a lush summer garden. Right now my seedlings are potted. I'm about to get more space and will be moving them but unsure into what. My zucchini and acorn squash are blooming beautifully but I do have some yellow leaves and others that are greying and shriveling.

My kale is a feast to some caterpillars. I've been removing eggs by hand but I'm sure there's a better solution.

My cherry tomatoes probably need something to climb. I see some flowers but also some yellow Leaves.

My eggplant are slower growers ??? pictures in this album https://photos.app.goo.gl/f73juQyfEXGq1c6w8

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there and welcome to the group ! Lets just take one plant at a time ! Can you post the squash/zucchini pics here ?

4. Shoobiefarmess

Shoobiefarmess New Seed

Thank you! Happy to be here! Hahah good idea here we go:

Attached Files:

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ok,, Looking at the third pic,, it is not summer squash ! What variety is it ? And need to know how big your pots are ? Squash are heavy rooted and usually do not do well in pots ! If yours are runners it may take more feeding than you are doing at present ! As to the bugs and other creepies,, are you trying to do this garden organically ? Or do you like to eat ?

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Mart, those pots look way too small for growing veggies. Do you have any contractor buckets you can drill holes in? Or giant patio pots?

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Plant your veggies directly into the ground if you can. It is time to give the roots more space.

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Shoobiefarmess

Shoobiefarmess New Seed

Wow y'all thank you so much for this advice. I thought so too but was dragging my feet a bit. I'm in the middle of the move and need them a bit portable but contractor buckets are a great idea! Hopefully, we get our planter boxes up and running soon enough. It's acorn squash!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We call the courgette sort in piccy 3 an eikelpompoen. The Latin name is, Curcurbita pepo.
    I agree with Odif when he suggested that you plant them in the ground asap. All courgette sorts are heavy eaters, so they will require feeding; and of course water frequently, as they are a "water veg".
    Welcome here. Here's wishing you good success with your gardening.

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

In the mean time feed them a bit more until you can either get bigger pots or plant them at your new place ! As to the bugs ect,,,go to the dollar store and get Sargeants flea and tick shampoo/spray for dogs or for cats if you are going organic ! Put about two TBSP in a quart of water and use that for an insecticide ! Just spray the vegetables and try to get both sides of the leaves ! Both are safe to use ! I use the same active ingredient as the dog flea spray but I buy it at the feed store ! It is what is used for fly spray for horses ! I even use it as mosquito repellant if I run out ! It just doesn`t smell too good,, but it works and is approved !
    Make sure the main ingredient is Pyrethrin (for cats,, its made from chrysanthemums) or permethrin for dogs ! Sargeants is best and has soap as a surfactant ! Cat stuff is just a spray !