New Times, New Possibilities

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, this isn’t new over here…but it is new to our area. What I am talking about are allotments in a great, whopping commercial greenhouse. The owners have a family name that is well known in the agrarian community here. In fact when my bride was younger, she used to pick iris bunches for export at one of their locations.

Anyway, in a neighbouring village these greenhouse allotments are in; what the owners refer to as, a “ historical (antique) greenhouse”. They rent out spaces for folks to garden in. Here is the entrance. The pic looks a bit hazy because it is a pic taken of a foto in a local paper.
    6E8B472F-F0AD-486B-B42E-48CCB3FB436A.jpeg

A view of the lottie spaces before they were occupied.
    75B13CBA-2B50-42E3-BDD8-B04D523EC455.jpeg

Here are a few folks showing-off with their new plots, the owners are on the foreground.
    3607EC88-A282-4BF1-8AC5-1379EA672AF8.jpeg

It is such a good initiative. I do not know what they cost, but they are of a manageable size especially for busy families or elderly people who want to grow their own and find the traditional plot sizes too large.

Logan, Daniel W, Dirtmechanic and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I am full of admiration for the way your country recognises the need for people to be able to grow their food - especially in the present global mess. A shining light for us all to take notice of. Value for the body and soul, and the pocket too.

4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

What a smart idea. Kudos to all the happy gardeners diggin in.:)

Logan, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Cor, that's a brilliant idea Sjoerd :)

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It really is a good idea. On our allotment complex we see people come and go, disappointed. They bite off more than they can chew, become disillusioned and give up. I really hate to see this happen. If folks cannot have foresight or ask foe some kind of assistance … then this greenhouse scheme is the thing for them as it forces them to garden small. Out of necessity, then keep their plans tailored. The reality of limited space is apparent, so they will plan. The weekly maintenance cannot overwhelm them. Personally I think this is one of the main reasons that newby’s stop. Now that I think about it, after a couple of years in the greenhouse, they would be ready for a larger plot. Experience gives confidence.

Oh the positive potential of this project is great and has so many opportunities. On the rare occasion that a new member would ever ask me for advice, the first thing I advise them to do is begin small the first season. Manage expectations and see how it goes.

Logan, Pacnorwest, eileen and 2 others like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That sounds great Sjoerd! I wish it were in my town.
    We've had the same problem in our community garden with new gardeners. They get overwhelmed & discouraged. I've been thinking of trying to match them with seasoned gardeners.... It's a little tricky, a little like social engineering. Actually as I write this I think it will be better to simply ask existing gardeners to keep an eye out for the newbes, lending encouragement.

Logan, Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and 2 others like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cayu— interesting this subject of how it goes with new members. My Bride and I stood at that duckweed bridge this afternoon and had a conversation about this very subject. How can we help people succeed and enjoy the hobby.

The subjects ranged off to protecting soil, especially over the winter. The red thread was that newbie’s are becoming discouraged after the winter with all the grass and weeds that was then covering the plots.

The conversation went on about other aspects.

Logan, eileen, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow this is a wonderful project for the people.

Logan, eileen, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Wow send em over here… a few years ago a couple city garden buddies grew their own lil garden in a dedicated space in my garden, for friends that lived in condos. We were in the same floral classes together. It worked out great.
    and always fun to share interests with like minded friends.

Logan, eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KK— it is getting a very good response.
    My Bride and I suggested several years ago erecting a large poly tunnel and doing the same thing on our complex but there was no animo for it. Too bad.

Pac—that was interesting to hear. You were nice to offer the space. It is indeed a pleasure to share interests with friends. Is that the class where you developed your remarkable talent for making displays?

12. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

This kind of project will be even more important for people worldwide as the food shortage is made worse through the imposed global climate change scam.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Community gardens is a huge way to share and grow food, flowers and teach. In many cities this has been a big success for many years . Since Covid it became even more popular. Not only do we have many organizations that work to improve cities with plantings of perennials , trees and shrubs , but also schools and cemeteries are also included in beautification projects in the many efforts with the garden club I was involved with for many years. Grew gardens at the fair grounds to teach how to build raised beds, sow seeds and paring plants with veggies. I was a certified judge for many years at local and state fairs as well as the ‘House and Garden’ shows and many local floral competitions thruout the PNW,
    It was good way to learn and meet others while working with like minded people with the same passions and interests.

14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's a great idea Sjoerd.