New To Gardening, Greenhouses

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by CrazyHorseFarms, Apr 2, 2009.

1. kats_gardens

kats_gardens New Seed

Transplant your babies to bigger pots when they get another set of leaves. The plants you have are not crazy about getting transplanted so use the larger peat pots and plant them in a nice potting soil. Take them outside on your warm sunny days since they are all sun loving plants.

I have my seedlings on a cart with wheels that I can just wheel outside late in the morning for the afternoon. Give them a good drink though. Outside air and wind dries the pots out faster than you'd expect.

2. CrazyHorseFarms

CrazyHorseFarms New Seed

update trans planted them yesterday
    how they looking weather been wacky up and down temps
    i am hopeing i can get 2 more weeks out of then then put in ground?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am not exactly sure what plants you are showing in the pictures, but they do not look anywhere near large enough to plant outside.....even if you have to wait until the end of May.

Think of the size of plants you find in garden centers. They are pretty large in 4"-6" pots and are doing just fine.

Don't rush them, they will grow in pots a long time. Plus you have to add on the hardening off time before they can be put in the ground.

4. kats_gardens

kats_gardens New Seed

I agree with the last post. You have plenty of time. Don't rush them out! Also, in Michigan, you can still get frosts in early May. Mid to the end of May would be safer and your plants will have time to grow big and strong. A week before you plant them in the ground, take your plants outside during the day(in the shade or partial shade.) Bring them in every night. This is called "Hardening off" which the other post talked about. It gets your plants used to being outside without shocking them with a sudden change of conditions. The first day they can be outside a few hours and work your way up to all day outside. If you work during the day, have them out in the evening before sunset a few days, then start leaving them out before you go to work. They are going to be great. (-and if you have casualties you can always plant again directly in the garden. Farmers are still planting corn in early June!)

Advertisement
  5. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

you are doing just fine! I planted several of my seeds too soon and just put them in bigger pots, (peat pots to make them easy to plant). I have two cucumber plants (under lights) in quart pots already setting little cukes. Good luck and keep the questions coming.

6. CrazyHorseFarms

CrazyHorseFarms New Seed

thanks every body i wish i knew this before now i put my plants out to get some sun from 10am-6pm
    when i got home the cucumbers were broke over so back to the drawing board on them
    I just wonder if i should just wait and do the cucumbers next mo?
    or replant them in pee pods?
    :oops:

7. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

Big plants, little peat pots: it does appear you WILL have to transplant into something bigger, especially the corn. May I suggest the large 40 ounce styrofoam cups to accomodate the corn's root systems? Simply punch 5-6 holes in the bottoms with a large nail (for drainage); remove netting from Jiffy pots and plant in a good potting mixture..that's been premoistened..in the cup. You can do the same with the vines using smaller styro cups, and expect them to be quite long by transplanting out time: are extremely FAST growers!
    You mentioned putting 5 corn plants in a 5-gallon bucket? That may be just "overcrowding" a bit, one per bucket would be better (you'll see why at season's end when you pull up the spent corn stalk) and keep well watered. They'd actually be better off in the ground if possible, set about 8-12 inches apart to allow for root growth. For your cukes, recommended is 2-3 plants per 5 gallon container; watermelon: 1 per 3 gallon container, OR directly out in a plot spaced about a foot apart. Do try NOT to plant several varieties of cukes together as they'll cross-pollinate and the true flavors of each will be impaired as a result.
    You also mentioned purchasing a weed killer? If this is to be used in a dug garden plot, please GO EASY on the application as it can HARM even "started plants" with too heavy a dosage! Also, a weed killer can drastically hinder seed germination of anything directly seeded out..will also kill those seeds as well as dormant weed seeds.
    Your started plants are simply lovely, GOOD GOING there! Good luck, wishing you great success...