New Tulip In Bloom, Popular With My Bees

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sjoerd, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Over in the blueberry patch is where I grow a succession of the bee plants. Winter Aconiets, Crocusses, followed by Tulipa turkestanica...then later on, Limnanthes.

The Tulipa turkestanica is coming into bloom now. It is a small tulip--classified as "wild", and the bees like it a lot. Now is the time of year when the bees are in desperate need of a little nectar but lots of pollen. There are not many plants here that offer pollen at this time of year, so I do what I can on my little garden space.

Here are a few pics of bees and the tulip.
    zzzz3.jpg

zzzz4.jpg

zzzz2.jpg

zzzz5.jpg

zzzz.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wonderful photographs of the bees Sjoerd. The bees around here are beginning to forage and I hope they manage to find plenty of pollen from the plants we, and our neighbours, have planted.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I enjoyed your bee photographs. They sure seem to be enjoying your tulips. :like: The only thing flying around here is the birds. It's still too cold.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the foto compliment EILEEN--I would imagine that the bees over there will be flying as well...not today though hahaha. We are having very strong wind storms over here 2th meteorological code warmings. No rain though.

I am glad that you enjoyed those foto's 2OF--Yeah, I guess that it is still quite cold where you live. Hang on, the good weather is on the way.