Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by New at planting, Jul 13, 2019.

1. New at planting

New at planting New Seed

Hello! I’m all new at this! Not only on this website but at trying to plant stuff. So far, not having much luck. I live in West Texas. Very hot and dry. We have planted 2 crape myrtles which seem to be dying....
    We planted two rose bushes and the leaves look kinna sick... Geez maybe we just aren’t cut out for this. No green in these thumbs! Thanks for listening!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Greenbeans
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. nitram
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to GardenStew @New at planting ! Hopefully after a while here you will become "Experienced at planting" :)

Gail-Steman likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:wave:Hi there and a warm welcome to our forums from Scotland. We have members here from Texas who I'm sure will help you with your planting. They should be along soon so, fingers crossed, you'll soon have plants that will begin to thrive for you.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Where in west Texas are you ? How much water are you giving them ? West Texas is arid and dry so consistant watering is the key !! How long since you planted them ? Once roots are established they are not too picky ! I have two that have been here for 30 years or more and get little care except water in severe drought conditions ! I am in NE Texas !

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi New at Planting :wave:
    Welcome to GardenStew from Southern Ontario!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  7. New at planting

New at planting New Seed

I am located in Odessa. We planted them about a month ago. They look like they are dying. We used a root stimulater twice. At weekly intervals. Could that be it? Otherwise, we followed the directions carefully.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome! We are in Central Texas, so know a bit about Texas gardening. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but my opinion may be of use to you.
    First, you don't plant shrubs (crepe myrtles, roses, etc.) in June in Texas, especially west Texas. Planting during the dormant season gives the roots time to settle in and the plant doesn't have to fight the heat.
    Second, lay off the root stimulator. Your myrtles are babies, adjusting to a new environment. They need to settle in and get acclimated.
    Give them sufficient water--make sure the soil is damp at least 3-4" down. Some shade wouldn't hurt. You could rig a tent with shade cloth, or if they are small enough, just put an old umbrella on the west side of the plant.
    Your roses--do you still have the tags telling the variety? If so, please tell us. Grafted hybrid teas are a short lived perennial here in most of Texas. Antique roses and own root roses do much better.
    You'll become a good gardener--it just takes time and a bit of experience. Keep asking questions, get explanations, and pretty soon you'll be green from thumb to elbow!

Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  9. New at planting

New at planting New Seed

No sir, I don’t have the tags off the rose bushes. All I remember is they came from Tyler. They have white splotches on the leaves and something that looks oily as well. We will contact the seller of the roses to see what they suggest for powder mildew (?). Thanks for your encouragement, but doubt that green will spread to these elbows!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew from north central Texas. I lived in Lubbock a few years and between Lubbock and Odessa I learned where the group Kansas got the inspiration for their song "Dust in the Wind" after leaving there and moving here every time there was a dust storm out there we got reminded of Mac Davis and "Lubbock in my Rear View Mirror"

Your local county extension office is https://ector.agrilife.org/ they are connected with A&M and have local Master Gardeners on duty to take phone calls from gardeners in your area with problems that need help.

Gail-Steman and New at planting like this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

There are Master Gardeners, and then there are Master Gardeners. When we lived in town, we found the Master Gardeners were basically a garden club, interested in having lunch and selling plants.
    I do hope the group in Odessa is knowledgeable and helpful.

Gail-Steman and New at planting like this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I didn't say they would really know what they were talking about : ) A few years ago I found a text book and note book used by a MG class in Abilene. I bought it thinking it would be a learning experience, it was. I learned that I knew more about gardening, plants, etc than that book so I decided to save the money the course cost and get out in the yard and learn what the plants wanted to teach me.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good luck New at Planting! As you see we have done Texas gardeners on this site who undoubtedly can help.

BTW I am in the NE & I use the umbrella trick too for recently planted/transplanted stuff. Good luck with your shrubs. For what it is worth, I would think "water water water" until they are well established. That & mulching the root area.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Gail-Steman and marlingardener like this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

About the white spots and oily patches on your rose leaves--I think the white spots are powdery mildew, which can be taken care of with a spray of 70% water and 30% milk (yes, just plain old milk from the grocery store!). Spray when it is hot and dry out, and spray both sides of the leaves.
    The oily spots may be the residue from aphids. Ants use aphids to make a sort of "nectar" the ants eat. You can make your own safe insecticidal spray by mixing in one pint of water a few drops of soap (NOT detergent, but soap like Ivory soap or Dreft) and a few drops of vegetable oil to help the spray stick. If you see lots of aphids, dust your roses heavily with flour. Flour messes up their digestive system and kills them. Isn't it amazing how many lethal things lurk in our kitchens?:):)
    Here is a photo of aphids.
    upload_2019-7-18_8-10-22.jpeg

Gail-Steman and Cayuga Morning like this.
  15. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

16. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Welcome from west coast of Canada

Gail-Steman likes this.