Nite-Guard pest deterrent

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by chris1948, May 14, 2016.

1. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

My son has volunteered to put a deer stand either on the roof of our house or in the big tree in our front yard.

2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Chris,
    We have a huge problem with deer where we live. I mistakenly have provided a smorgasbord of food for them with all my perennial plantings. To answer your question re the Nite-Guard: I have a similar gizmo. Mine is 'Predator Guard'. So far it works pretty well. I bought two & I move them around so the deer don't get used to them. They have 2 flashing red lights, similar to eyes that flash intermittently at night. They are not intrusive, they do not flash in anyone's bedroom! The lights are tiny but apparently surprising to deer. People hardly notice them.

I have tried a number of other deterrents: 1) dried blood (makes them think a predator is about, needs to be replenished after a rain) 2) bars of deodorant soap (I cut them in half & stick on straightened coat hangers. They look like square lollipops in the garden) I put one in each prized plant. 3) Monofilament. It scares them because they feel it but can't see it. 4) Double fencing. Does not have to be high....Deer don't like to get trapped between 2 fences. 5) Deer Away or maybe it is Deer Scram. It works, but must be replenished after rains. 6) ScareCrow. It is a motion detecting device that you hook up to your garden hose, It emits a stream of water when the motion detector gets activated. The device itself has stickers on it that look like eyes. 7) I am also trying mobiles that make noise. I don't know if they work. 8) Surrounding prized plants with rose or blackberry brambles.

Deer are creatures of habit. Once they find something they like, you have to go to extra effort to discourage them. It is easier to 'nip it in the bud' with any of the above methods than to discourage them once they have found delectable food!

I am gradually replacing the plants that deer cherish with ones they disdain.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Henry Johnson and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

Thank you for the reply, I'll take a look at the 'Predator Guard' then. It sounds like you've tried everything there is to deter them. My wife put some of the solar lights that change colors out by the large tree we have in front where they like to hang around. For some reason, either they just haven't been around or the lights deter them, I haven't caught any in my trail cam since she put them out. One thing I've tried that you haven't mentioned is 'Milorganite' it's a fertilizer and is 'supposed' to also deter deer however it doesn't work more than a few days but the company says it should work at least 30.

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for letting me know about the milorganite & the solar lights that change colors. I will keep an eye out for them. I wonder if milorganite is cheaper than dried blood!?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

You're welcome, the Milorganite is $13.00/bag at my Lowe's here. I'd have to go out to the greenhouse to see what size bag it is but it's fairly large. Here's a link to their home page - http://www.milorganite.com/ and the link to it as a deer deterrent - http://www.milorganite.com/using-milorganite/deer-deterrent I spread it around inside the pots of the plants I want to protect however either they can't smell it or they're like my Jack Russell who for some reason acts like a cat on catnip whenever she smells it.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

That particular area has more deer than people I think. Hubby spent time at Ft Hood and lived in Copperas Cove many moons ago. I have used the solar electric fence and that may be your best bet. You can just turn it off in the daytime when the dogs are about. It will not hurt them but they will only touch it once I can guarantee that. The whole set up with wire and insulators and a two mile charger is about $150. at Tractor Supply. That is if you already have some posts or something to attach it to. Otherwise you will need a few T-Posts too !! Only thing you need to be aware of is not letting a plant or weed touch it. That will drain the charge into the ground instead of the deer.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

Good morning Mart, things have really changed around here. More and more land is being taken for housing which is taking their habitat away from them I'll have to take a run down there to check that out. The chain link fence around the back is only 4' high and I've seen them just jump and clear it easily as they come into the yard. The only problem I'd have with that at the moment is I have Hyacinth Bean vines growing up the fence. I'll figure something out. Got some really good photos last night in the front yard with my trail cam. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll take a look into doing something like that.