Northern Mockingbird

Discussion in 'Bird' started by toni, Dec 20, 2010.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mockingbirds, Cardinals and Blue Jays and Hawks are my favorite birds. I have been working on getting the first three to come to the yard to feed. As much as I love the Hawk I am afraid it would be disastrous if one came into my yard :rolleyes:

The Cardinals come to the feeders for the Safflower seeds, the Blue Jay drinks from the birdbaths but they don't hang around much or for long. I have got a Mockingbird pair who are hanging out in the front yard now. I think they came for the pepper plant that came up in the backyard this year and I am really glad they are staying.

I took an old birdbath out to the front garden, raisins and a chopped up apple in and have been having a great time watching them argue over who gets to eat.

They aren't quite a skittish as they were a few days ago so I am hoping that I can get photos of both of them in a couple of days. But this evening I got lucky with one of them at least.

[​IMG]
    Mockingbird at the fruit feeder ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

And hung a suet block with nuts and fruit...
    [​IMG]
    And on the suet feeder holder ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The photos aren't really clear since I was having to hide on the front porch and use the zoom so not to scare them off.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I can just make out the mocking bird. I hope that you will be successful in the coming weeks.
    In fact I am hoping that you will eventually get pics of the rest of the birds that come into your yard.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think you did just fine Toni with the photographs you've taken. Many of my birds were shy to start off with too but now they're used to me being about. I think they associate me with food so don't mind the odd photograph in exchange for something tasty.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It sounds like they like what you are serving if they keep coming. I love the hawks too but not when they eat my little finches...sparrows I have a lot of and those dirty black birds or grackles...but no, he likes the tiny delicate ones. He is here daily and I am sure other times when I am not at the window. Not much we can do about his menu choice .
    Have you heard of digiscoping? I would love to try it this spring. You take a scope and put a camera on the end. If I can find the e-mail, I will send it here.

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/Birds/Gen ... 45600.1977

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Last May when we were on our anniversary trip, hubby took a couple of photos of a farm 1/4-1/2 mile away using the binoculars as a scope.
    [​IMG]
    Distant farm thru photographed thru binoculars ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I have a pair of binoculars on the shelf right by the front door for birdwatching and it never even crossed my mind to use them with the camera.
    Thanks for the jogging my memory