Not a fan of zinnias

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Sep 28, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I was never a fan of zinnias, thinking them floppy and garish. But my husband likes them so we have two beds of them this year. Who knew they were butterfly magnets!
    \ Gulf Fritillary on zinnia.jpg Swallowtail on zinnia.jpg Sulphur on zinnia.jpg
    How I love those tall, vivid flowers :setc_072:!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. gfreiherr
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Zinnia is one of the major butterfly magnets, I must have had really old seeds cause I didn't get many at all this year.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. kate

kate In Flower

Is it not two years in an airtight container for seeds Toni?

Those Zinnias are lovely, great wildlife photography too, well done Marling!!

K

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I LOVE Zinnia's! I plant a few different types each year. Most definitely butterfly magnets!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Zinnias are beautiful for the insect wildlife. We have a bed in front of the house that I put in for cut flowers for my markets. There are flutterbys out there of some kind or another most days.

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I'm so-so re: zinnias but I definitely love all the butterflies :)

Gorgeous photos! ;) :) :)

8. liono

liono Seedling

Zinnias are very colorful flowers the can grow up to 2m and their flower lasts for a very long time. Bees and insects love them, unfortunately we do not have such nice butterflies in my area.
    zinnia01.jpg zinnia02.jpg zinnia03.jpg

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Kate, by really old zinnia seeds I mean REALLY old. I found a few packets last Spring in a container that I had forgotten about, the date on the packet was 2009. Thought I would throw them in the new hellstrip area just to see if they would make it.....they didn't :(

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane, I like zinnia's fine, but prefer others. My bride LURVES 'em, and has been asking me to plant a bed of them again. After seeing this display of yours, I do not think that I can escape planting them next year. hahaha. It sounds like I do not like them, but that is not true--I like them fine as well as the insects they attract. I think that I know where I will plant them (if I do not forget). I shall make it a point to clean up that lil patch as well as I can, then get some new seeds.

I don't know whether to thank you or grit my teeth at you for this posting, Jane. --cackle. Just kidding.

Let me again say that your pics are really good and show the visitors quite well. Toni is right that they are a major magnet for the butterflies...and here bees also frequent I am so pleased for you that you have a good variety of "flutterbyes" there.

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sojerd, I shared your "teeth gritting" over zinnias, but if my husband likes them, we have them! I'm beginning to be much fonder of zinnias, especially since the hummingbirds and bees like them, too. I may have to search out a 1/2 lb. package of seed for next year!
    We have two zinnia beds, and here is the small bed just at the edge of our patio:
    small zinnia bed.jpg

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, they are gorgeous.
    Boy, you've got TWO beds of them...and plans for a i/2 pound bag of seeds for next year ! That's great. I ought to be able to find at least one place for some in my flower garden. It will require some planning, though.

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Very pretty...I never had butterflies on my container of zinnias that I know of. Maybe my butterfly bush was too close because they really love that.

14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I feel the same about zinnias....I think 'ho hum' and think they are work horses: reliable, useful but boring. BUT this summer at the community garden another gardener had a small patch of them, Orange and yellow, They were such a bright colorful spot amidst the green of the veggies, I thought "Oh I must get me some!"

marlingardener likes this.