Nothing's Easy Is It?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I installed four of these ceramic light shades I'd bought from Homebase, in the front room over twenty years ago, on two adjoining walls. They are made of quite thick ceramic. The lights in this room, are controlled by three switches near the door, one each for the pairs of wall lights and one for, as Peter Kay would say, "The big light."

[​IMG]

Ten years ago, when we had the lounge re-decorated, my wife asked me if we could have the same shades in that room.
    I checked with Homebase and I found they still stocked them!

Well.. Not quite.
    Some bright spark had decided they could be made of paper thin ceramic and they could charge twice as much for them. But I bought two.

I carefully drilled a hole in the bottom as they needed to be worked by a pull switch like the ones we had in there at the time, I recycled the pull-switches. More drilling required to attach them. Job done.

[​IMG]

After I'd turned one of the lights off last night, the cord (a bit of wire, actually) came off in my hand. So this morning I had to drag out the sofa to get to it.
    Re-attaching the cord to the switch was a right pain, very fiddly and took ages, as when I put them up I'd fixed the switch before putting the shade on the wall. I wasn't going to risk taking them off the wall as they are so thin and brittle. Anyway all done.
    I'm getting too old for these sorts of jobs.

2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Me too!

So many things now are thinner, more fragile, and don't last as long but cost more.

I bought our glass light fixture covers at a store that sells old house parts, from old houses that are remodeled or demolished (junk store). They are nice, solid, frosted glass. I did have to figure out how to install them. I'm happier with those than with the newer ones.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

We have thrift stores here, and also the Habitat Restore is another thrift store. You never know what you will find there. I like to go there, even if I don't find anything I want.

5. Doghouse Riley

I'm sometimes envious of fellow contributors to audio equipment message boards who live in the USA when they pick vintage radios, phonographs etc., from thrift stores. This doesn't happen in the UK as those stores legally have to have such equipment "PAT tested" to ensure they are electrically safe, so they only sell contemporary items.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and eileen like this.

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

This week my glass top electric range top lost control of temperature. The burner heated super hot - no sauté or simmer, just char, instantly. I bought it last june. Fortunately it was under warranty, and they repaired it. I'm surprised I like the stove. Most things cook better on it than on gas, which is kind of sacrilege for me to say. It heats faster and much more evenly than my old gas range did. I'm liking using stainless steel pots and pans on it as much as I liked cast iron on the old one. Usually better. We'll see how it does or if more breaks down this year or so.

7. Doghouse Riley

We've only a built in oven and a microwave in our small kitchen, but we've two halogen hobs, which more or less, immediately after use, just need a wipe down with a damp cloth and they can then be put away in a cupboard

eileen, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

When I had my first glass cook top stove, my dear repair man from Sears ( who was way past retirement and not fond of the fickleness of modern technology) advised me to ...ahem..."fake" a broken cook top while he was still working so that I had one on hand encase/when it cracked. This way it would be covered on warranty and he would replace it for an apple pie post retirement. :) This was ten years ago and he said the replacement was about $1000.
    I never took him up on the offer ( I'm not really wired that way although it was a very generous offer). So far I have been very lucky, although I had to replace the stove about 4 years ago.

My daughter has her first glass cook top, and is a new Kitty Momma. Her adventerous fur baby knocked over a vase onto the cook top and it cracked. Her landlord replaced the cook top to my daughters bank account expense of $870. They almost purchased a new stove for $1100, but opted not to in the end as they thought it may be more prone to breaking down.

I like mine too Daniel. And you have your handy outdoor stove for summer. I do all of my canning on the porch on a convection portable stove top.

Daniel W, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I don't think there is such a thing for you my friend. You're far too creative and talented. You seem to pick your battles quite well when it comes to hiring an outsider :) Perhaps it was searching for the wire behind the sofa that brought that comment up hahaha.. Those are terrible jobs for everyone - pulling out sofas, stoves, fridges, washers etc for a lost item. I'm pretty sure there is a collection of wooden spoons and spatulas behind my oven that need to be retrieved....eventually. One day. When my knees are up to it.

I think those lights are very nice. Very soft. Well done. I'm sure the Mrs. is quite pleased with your handywork.

eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Doghouse Riley

Talking of retrieving things. Over a few years, I lost two golf umbrellas which I kept in my car, when out shopping, which I had to replace. Then one day I had to fold the back seats of the car forward to get a large cupboard in the back.
    I found that there was a narrow well immediately behind the back seats, which contained two golf umbrellas.

Odif, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

:smt042 You're ready for a rainy day now no matter what!

Pacnorwest, Doghouse Riley and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I do that sort of thing all the time some good finds like a bag of Reese’s . I usually refer lost items to the ‘ black hole ‘ that’s where all the lost socks and keys have gathered. Just need to find the black hole …in the universe…

Melody Mc., Doghouse Riley and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hahahaha...Reese's. :smt005

My blackhole is a four inch gap between the wee window ledge in the laundry room ( to allow for water and drain pipes) and the side of the washing machine. Hubby uses the ledge for random and not so random items. In front of the washing machine is a very tight fitting laundry room tub sink.

Usually I hear a series of klunks as an item goes down and hits the pipes and then the side of the washer. It is an on my tummy with a flash light and a stick affair to get anything out. Now that I have cranky hips and kneesles that retrieval is only a few times a year...unless the fall is accompanied by a sad "Oh No...." instead of "#@@%!!". The sad "Oh No" warrants donning of knee pads, head lamp and a stick extraction within the hour. :)

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Doghouse Riley like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Mel sorry about your hips and knees. Hey tend to be quite painful . Hope you’re taking care and see a doc about them. the washing machine issue sounds complicated… I think that’s where all those missing socks end up..:chuckle:
    I have similar problem I have a reacher to retrieve things that end up in tight places .

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Doghouse Riley like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You have me rolling on the floor, Mel. I could read your humorous style all day long. Merci.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  16. Doghouse Riley

What usually happens, is you end up with one sock and a Lock n' Lock box with no lid.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.