Off on a wild hair again

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by CritterPainter, Mar 28, 2007.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

OK, so, 21 years ago I started a Landscape Architect course and had to drop it because 1) I ran out of money for college and 2) I got a job in State Parks & engaged to my sweetie. Before that, I took every one of the abundant horticulture courses offered by my high school (see? I'm not as flighty as I seem, I really do love gardening lol!)
    Anyhoo, I'm pondering getting some sort of "official" education in horticulture, maybe finishing my AA or getting a certificate, so I can legitimately offer my gardening services (there's still So Much to learn!!!) I think this is an ideal way to create a career that I could work around my special-needs child.
    So, does this sound like a flighty impulse? (I'm prone to those). Has anyone done this ? (going back to school after 20 years). Anyone know of a program that they know to be good, that I could take via distance learning? (I know there are several offered, but don't know if they are any good and I can't flush away a thousand bucks!)
    Thanks, beeeg hugs! Mary, painter of critters, squisher of bugs, puller of weeds, and silver of threads

2. Loading...

3. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I say go for it. I don't know where you can take the classes but it will be worth your effort. I graduated from high school in 1974, started college, fell in love, quit college, got married. Years later I decided it was time to finish my associates degree. I finally did in 2004, 30 years later. It was hard but it was something that I wanted to do for my self and the feeling of accomplishment was well worth the effort.

4. CritterPainter

(((hug))) glad I'm not alone. Thanks for the encouragement!

5. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Go for it Mary so later you will have no regrets. Our only limitations are the ones we put on ourselves.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Definately go for it Mary. You'll be so proud of yourself when you get that certificate!! :D

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I say go for it, wish I could. Try finding out if your local univ. offers a Master Gardeners course. That would be a start.

8. katsback

katsback In Flower

are we twins? i took a course thru the mail in landscaping,same time the house burned i lost all my stuff, including the drafting table i bought,well i loved it while i was getting the stuff in the mail every month,i was a good student too!
    well life went on and i never went back into it, i just piddled at home with plants and stuff, wonder if the house hadnt burned where id be today had i finished? hmmm.

9. CritterPainter

Oh Kat, that's awful!!!! I was pulling all A's before I had to drop my courses, I doubt the local college would consider counting them. Pity, I only need about a half-dozen credits to round out an AA. I still annoy people by rattling off the Latin names of plants :) And the drafting part fit my doodling personality just fine.

10. katsback

katsback In Flower

lol, ya those latin names.well dont give it up if you can do it,im 46 now and think im to old,lol to start over.

[​IMG]

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Go for it Mary.
    'Follow your bliss' (Joseph Campbell)

12. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I'd say go for it too. When I went back to school for my piano degree, we had a fella in his 60's who had retired from his profession (he was a psychiatrist) and went back to school to get his Master's in Piano Performance. No education is time wasted in my opinion! If it's something you really want to do, you should.

13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Much to young to give an experienced answer here but a firm believer in chasing your dreams and setting goals. So if your heart wants to do it 100% Mary (which it seems to) then GO FOR IT! 8)

14. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Go for it. Of course you're not too old. My good friend just went back and got her Master's at 49. Best use those brains to keep them sharp. One good thing about Older is now education is taken seriously. 8)

15. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Only 20 years? So, ya took a little break . . . :D . . . no biggie.
    Seriously, I'm joining the chorus here,
    I just don't think you can go wrong by following a dream,
    especially one that persists like this one clearly has.
    Your heart knows what it wants to do,
    you may always wonder and regret if you don't go for it.

16. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I will say go for it! I was a diploma 3 yr nurse and tried 3 times before I finally got a BS in Health Arts. It didn't mean much to my family but it meant a lot to me. So you can do it! Wannabe