Oh....a shopping we did go!!!

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Mar 23, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Every time we go junque shopping at least one seller will ask "What are you going to do with this?" and most of them obviously are not 'collectors' because they just do not understand the concept of "I don't know yet, but some day it will be the perfect thing". Once in a while someone will understand and mention a garage they have that is stuffed full of those same types of things and I am tempted to ask if I can come shopping in their garage ;)

This past weekend successful weekend junque trip. The shop in Greenville did still have the VW car doors and a few others but I just didn't feel like spending THAT much money on one so it's still in their back room.

I saw one of these old graters in a boutique Saturday morning hanging upside down being used as a towel holder, this one will become just that when I get my backroom garden place organized.
    J.Grater.JPG

This basket just sat there looking lonely so for $3 it hoped into my hand. I appear to have become a collector of old enamel ware bowls, pitchers and pots for use in the garden but this one is going to sit on the buffet with cut flower in it through the year.
    J.pitcherbasket.JPG

What gardener could walk away from this!!
    J.Plantcrate.JPG

Someone nailed an old tart pan to the top of a piece of post and now it will be a birdfeeder in my backyard.
    J.bfeeder.JPG

Along with old barnwood and wrought iron items I love old metal, rusted, painted or not. A pair of connected
    2' x 2' rustic ceiling tiles, red painted tiles and 3 roofing tiles....don't know what yet but I do have several ideas.
    J.ceilingtin.JPG J.redtin.JPG J.Rooftin.JPG

And the absolute best bargain of the weekend.... the lady first quoted me a price of $15 for this wheelbarrow, then when she rang it up her boss reminded her of the 20% discount so I got it for $12.

J.wheelbarrow.JPG

stratsmom, donm and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Good stuff... as usual! I miss having my wheelbarrow planter. That one looks good enough to even use as a wheelbarrow! :)
    Love that porcelain pitcher. Great idea to use it as a vase.

4. toni

The wheelbarrow is practically brand new, the handles are wood which is what caught my eye and the bright red. The bottom finally rusted out of a one-handled one I picked up off the neighbors curb a few years ago but this new one should last for more years than I probably have left to garden. :D

Most of my enamelware pitchers have spouts, this one has with a lip instead and it's really wide. If there weren't a couple of spots inside where the enamel has chipped off I would be tempted to use it in the kitchen for iced tea.

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Nice finds again. I would love to go shopping with you.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Will the wheelbarrow become a planter Toni? It looks to be in great condition!
    Great finds again as usual. Was there anything you had to leave behind?

7. toni

Donna, I find the best junque in the far back corner booths at Antique Malls....where they rent out booth space to dealers. The stuff at the front of the stores are fancy, glassware, knick-knacks and possibly real antiques but the old wood, metal....good stuff is usually in the back. I guess so it won't scare off real antique collectors.

Frank, the wheelbarrow is in near perfect condition, that's why we both almost fainted when we were told $15 .... a gal at the next store we went too was helping us load those tin pieces and I asked how much they would ask for one like it...she said $35- $50. I am going to load it up with red, white and blue flowers in the back garden.

I think the car door is probably the hardest one to leave behind. I'm thinking about asking for it for my birthday. I think having one in the back yard, potato plants growing around it would be a reminder of my teen years. I spent a lot of time sitting in cars with girl friends (and an occasional boy friend) at drive-in burger joints eating burgers and fries.

Frank likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh that pitcher would find a home here without a doubt and so would the wheelbarrow. Toni you find the best junque when you go on your trips and every time I see your photographs I turn green. :D If you lived near me I think you'd find some of your treasures would be migrating in my direction under cover of darkness. :chuckle:

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

There's not a single junque store in my area. :( Maybe that's a good thing as I wouldn't have room on my small property to put many things but it would be nice to have a couple.

10. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Those are some nice goodies you have there. We need more junk shops in our area.

11. toni

Don't look for junk stores, find Antique Malls. They rent booth space to dealers of all kinds and typically there will be some junk type treasures mixed in too. The Antique Malls around here purposely put them in a far back corner since there are evidently more customers for real antiques than for the fun junky stuff.
    Also, look for the words Trash, Treasure, Vintage, Shabby Chic in the store title.

Miss Kitty, http://www.antiqueworldmall.com/
    http://www.antiquemalls.com/stores/ID/Boise.aspx

Go to Google.com and search for Antique Malls Boise Idaho.....or Antique Malls (followed by you city and state)