One large dog, one large mess!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Ronni, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Charlie is my daughter's Great Dane. He's big, even by Great Dane standards. I'm tall for a woman (almost 5'8") and when he's standing next to me he can lay his head on my chest...yes, that high!....and when he looks up at me his nose touches my chin. He's a BIG DOG. At not quite 2 years old, he's probably not going to get much taller, though he'll continue to fill out. At last weigh in he was about 140 lbs.

Charlie as a puppy.
    [​IMG]

Charlie as a teenager
    [​IMG]

Charlie now.
    [​IMG]

This only took 5 minutes!! Someone left the lower cabinet door open in which the garbage can is hidden to prevent this exact thing from happening!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank, donna in nc, waretrop and 7 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I remember days like that with our Great Dane, Amber. She was so loving but if you left her to her own devices then havoc reigned. One day she got hold of a box of tissues and the whole house looked as if a snowstorm had hit it!! I learned that day that wet tissues are not the easiest things to get off carpets and furniture. :rolleyes:

donna in nc likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My goodness! The size of that mess making puppy! :D

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

:eek: I can hardly believe the size of that dog. It is like a horse. Do you ride it to town? pull a wagon? what does a dog that size eat?.... evidently not enough as it went through the trash looking for crumbs. I think they need to start feeding it vegetables, too. maybe it is lacking a vital nutrient if it is dumpster diving in the kitchen. :D . wow, just wow!

Advertisement
  6. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Good grief,its a good job he looks like a friendly chap being that size :eek:

I would hazard a guess and say it wouldn't have taken him as long as 5 minutes to make that much mess :rolleyes: :D

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni, So as I see it, that sweet puppy can stand on his hind feet and snatch something off the top of that refrigerator.

Is that correct Ronni??? I can't even fathom that. Makes me think of all the things I kept on top of mine that I would have had puppy-proof over the past 40 years???? WOW and if the fridge is easy for him, what about all the shorter surfaces that you have to puppy-proof....???

Great pet to add to the family. I love it...

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow! Look at the size of his paws! Good thing they don't have to buy him shoes!

Cayuga Morning and donna in nc like this.
  10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Now that's an impressive animal! Not the mess he made of course, that's a shame Ronni. I can barely comprehend a dog larger than a calf (that's my standard of measurement growing up on a farm :D) so Charlie is very interesting to me.

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

You pretty much nailed it Barb. He can reach anything on any counter, even stuff that's tucked way back in the corner. And yes, he can reach the top of the fridge. All but the highest pantry shelves are accessible to him, so we're very careful to keep the door closed. He can get stuff from the mantel in the den.

Currently the only safe places to store goodies are in the microwave, the oven, and the fridge. He's really smart, so we're praying he doesn't figure out how to open any of the appliances. He's trained, (because with a dog that huge training is an absolute must!) but is incredibly food motivated even though he's well fed. So Paige has not yet been able to deter him from sneaking food off the surfaces he can reach, which is pretty much everywhere.

He wants SO badly to be a lap dog too, which is really sad, (not to mention uncomfortable!) when he tries. He is especially fond of me, so I've become someone he wants to be with with when I'm around. What that translates to is him getting as much of his body as will fit onto my lap when I'm sitting down. Typically he'll lay his head and chest and one front leg sort of sideways on my lap while the rest of him is standing. It's really very funny.....except even with just that much of him on me, with the rest of him sort of leaning into me, I'm pinned....it's just too much weight :) Good thing I can tell him "Off!" and he'll grudgingly back up.

Frank, Henry Johnson, carolyn and 2 others like this.
  12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Beautiful dog that can create a beautiful mess, or is it a lot of dog a lot of mess. :D :D

13. JamieJTW

JamieJTW New Seed

Wow he's HUGE, really really big! He does look like a really friendly dog though =)

14. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

oh I love him ronni heck I have small dogs that create that big a mess too lol

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Ronni...i was admiring the pictures,..then just had to burst out laughing,...wow big dog big mess.

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I need to figure out how to post a video here. Well, first I need to remember my account information on youtube so I can upload it there, so that I can post it here! ;)

It's a video of Charlie and a mop. Yeah, a mop. It is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. :D