One More Hurdle To Overcome

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 7, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A few days ago we scavenged some planks from a garden house that was demolished. We made a replacement gate which I showed on here. After a while my Bride got itchy about our screening-off job that we erected a while ago. We keep replacing the screens as Mother Nature relentlessly destroyed them, one after the other.

We began. Removed the nails and sawed them to size, laid the planks out and it promptly began raining. We went home.
    B1E780A9-6EF6-4B4D-AD46-2B47EC8E2457.jpeg

A few days after that, we finished the hurdle off, placing some tough root cloth on the back side to hide the ugly storage collection.
    0CFE9F53-79BC-41CA-9696-D5AE324F3A93.jpeg

Then a view from the walking path, looking across a canal arm:
    E65E20C4-64BB-445A-9632-4C7C36C4D7AD.jpeg

Spring is rolling right along, but once again, the Mother wound up and threw a curveball— frost was predicted. Heavens, the strawbs had just begun blooming !
    002EA9C2-FEE3-4806-ABE8-FE9DAA456F2B.jpeg

Mates, there was nothing for it but to cover precious, tender blooms with fleece. The strawberries and some blueberry plants were covered out of an abundance of caution, as the popular jargon goes.
    0B326DC8-C1BE-4C5D-B6CC-DB677075D589.jpeg

These sorts of things are an unwelcome hindrance that takes away time from real tasks…like clearing beds and planting crops.
    74DE0A5F-EAD2-43B9-95AA-E29B8EFD6C7E.jpeg

This bed was emptied and placed atop the bed way far in the background, on the left hand side in the foto. That distant bed was also cleaned because that is where the bean wigwams go this year.

We filled two of these massive bags with mulch debris and took it away to the processing place.
    69F77C30-0FEA-432A-9FFA-1A28DCD4C665.jpeg

In this view you can see the bean poles arranged in the back.
    FC1B8E98-CC4E-4927-A38E-C2135E01A8E2.jpeg

Those strawbs on the foreground were happy to be out of their isolation and this is a couple of days after. They have even more blooms.

The broad beans were ready have their mesh netting removed, since they have begun blooming. You know, broad beans are self-pollenating, but insects and the wind help as well. We take it a step further and treat the bean plants like we do our greenhouse toms — we shake them a bit to help the pollen to fly about, hoping that more will land on the stigmas. Is it mad? I don’t know, but it seems logical to us.
    Here I am shaking things up a bit, batting the pollen out of the blooms.
    EB998D94-CF83-41AB-BC96-FB0688C33CF1.jpeg

While we were out and about, we picked up some summer leek plants and planted them immediately upon our return.
    347A8D9C-B529-4084-BB96-B02B4D71C947.jpeg

We have the beetroot varieties, Swiss chard, onions and leeks in. Two types of spuds are inching above ground now as well. The bean plants and parsnips must still go in as well as a “snack” cucumber.

Sadness in the greenhouse— three tom plantlets were set out and two were promptly eaten. I dug around the killing field bed and found a cutworm. I was well cross.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  2. Loading...

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Well, thank you very much. That was a very interesting tour of your gardens :like:

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Never a dull moment in your garden. So many edibles on the way with such a nice variety. Too bad about the tomatoes. At least it is early enough to replant if needed.

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I'm sorry to hear about that cut worm - especially since you waited so eagerly to start yours from seed. I hope you are able to recover the time.

Those strawberries look amazing! I've never seen so many blooms. I like the new cover for the odds and sods. Everything looks lovely after the frost threat. I've taken the quilts off of the kids beds to help prevent frost when I've had to - well done with the added protection. :)

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd very professional and your garden skills never disappoint. To bad your not closer… I would be raiding your garden come harvest time.

Jewell likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, your gardens look amazing! It's "not a lot of work" it is a lot of pleasure for you and the bride, and for us to see your garden.
    About cutworms--we have them also, and I have found that cutting a toilet paper tube in half, then slitting the halves top to bottom and placing the tube with the slit overlapping keeps cutworms off until the plant is large enough to fend for itself. The tube can be removed or left in place since it is cardboard and biodegradable.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ta Tetters. There is still so much to clean up here yet.

Thanks Jewell. As for the toms— I planted extra, I just do not need any more of these surprises. The sad thing is that I may have introduced the cut worms into the greenhouse myself when I exchanged the greenhouse soil. #*€%#@!?# !

Thank you Mel— I always plant extra, so I have replacements. i shall have to wait and see if there are more in the greenhouse.
    Yes, those strawbs are looking good, they are so plentiful because it is their third year. I usually only keep them two years. The thing is that the third year there are more fruits but they are all significantly smaller.
    You use quilts to protect your strawbs! Wow, that must give good protection, especially since your temps are significantly colder.

heh, heh, heh Pac— yeah, you could drop by and we’d have tea before you plundered. :) Thank you for the nice words.

I appreciate your comments very much. You are right that the work is a lot of pleasure. We do feel the work though. Ha ha.

Jane—We thank you for your toiletry tip. I may also have to rethink the soil replacement and perhaps use commercial garden soil mixed with compost and well-rotted stall muck.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd you certainly have earned everyone’s Kudos and props…watching your garden adventures is always interesting, fun and educational. Definitely reflects your gregarious personality. :) so glad you’re here.

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Your kindness is boundless. Thank you very much.
    Glad you're here too. Your gardens, equipment operation, size of property grounds, and hobby skills make you a little different than the rest of us. Chapeau.

11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I had to look that word up. Apparently it’s a French word for top hat? Or tip your hat? And ….And right back at ya.. tip hat…you work your tail off as most of us gardeners here do during the season. I’m just glad we get a winter break..
    I guess my property is a bit different with all the responsibilities that go along with keeping everything up , managing the gardens, pastures home etc. It keeps me outta trouble, no rest for the wicked as the saying goes…

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We commonly use that word to say, “Hats off to you”.

Jewell, Frank and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank you Sjoerd and right back at ya…