Organic gardener seeking advice and exchange of info & ideas with same

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by vitrsna, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Vitrsna---That is so true about the neem. But it is also good to put in your shampoo. I also use a toothpaste that has it in it. It is suppose to help get rid of gum disease. You could order food grade DE online for sure. But be sure it is food grade.
    When I see slugs I grab my salt shaker and sprinkle them with it. I guess it is not a vary humane way to get rid of them. Or I just squish them. I do not like them in my garden. I wish something would love eating them. I do have toads in the gardens and I have noticed that my slug count in down. So maybe they are eating those crummy little buggers.

2. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

To be fair to Neem, the lady beetles (and their larvae) that are so good at eating aphids will also eat butterfly eggs from time to time and even tiny caterpillars, but i've never noticed them decimate a population. We have Neem trees growing all over the place here...very pretty tree that. When i see the lady beetles i do ask them to just eat the aphids, but i don't punish them if they have dessert from time to time because they do more good than ill. That's funny about the slugs, for a few days there i was wondering "what would eat a slug". I wonder if some of the larger birds do...i think i'll search that. Slugs may be subject to parasites. I guess i'll do some research. I can't imagine anything wanting to eat one. Yes, maybe toads.

3. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

Good to know some information on Neem which I used some years ago, not using now. And glad to know neem trees are there too in Mexico. There is one in the neighbour's yard.