our new babies

Discussion in 'Pets' started by donna in nc, Mar 14, 2013.

1. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

Frank, Philip Nulty and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. wendyjames2
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Too cute! How do you get any work done with those little sweethearts to watch? :D

4. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

it is not easy I have them in front of my puter and they stay at the glass watching me lol

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They are adorable Donna. Maybe they're watching you trying to learn how to become 'Stew' members. :D

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

donna in nc, Aren't those babies cute.....So what kind are they and what are you going to do with them?

I have about 50 green eggs in the incubator getting ready to hatch on, when???, yes, on Sunday... St. Patrick's Day. When else should they hatch??? That's when I was hatched too... ;)

Those babies will give you some mighty fine eggs right out your back door if you keep them. Won't that be fun???

7. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

first off happy birthday sun and I have no idea what kind they are they are suppose to be all hens so now I have to find me a couple of roosters so I can get some more babies along but these will definitly be for eggs babies and pets just think you have green eggs hatching on st patties day lol cool

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ohhh I just love baby chicks. They are so sweet looking. :stew1:

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

donna in nc, I didn't know they sexed eggs...I thought the sex depended on the exact temperature they were incubated at.

Your babies are so cute. If they see you next to your computer all the time whey are going to be so bonded to you they won't become regular chickens. :D

I have done that with button quail. That was fun. When I put them on the floor they followed me like a mother duck even when they were only 1 inch tall. :D :D That was cute....

Enjoy your babies.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, Some crossbred checks can be termed "sex-linked". the males are hatched a different color than the females, circumventing the need to do anything more than a visual determination for their sex.. Most chicks that you purchase are vent checked at the hatchery to determine the sex and they are generally 95% correct. A clutch of eggs can be 45%pullets 55% males on average. Some years they do produce more pullets than males, but most often I don't think that happens. When you buy straight run chicks I find them to be more males than females. So I avoid trying to hatch and raise for egg layers for my flock. I let a clutch hatch on occasion just because I like the chicks, but not to replenish my egg layers.
    Donna's chicks look to me sex linked...do you see that spot on their heads....that is the indicator for them.

Donna, Have fun with those. They are sweet.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your cuties. :D I would sit and stare at them for hours on end, nothing would be done here. :D

12. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

ware trop did your eggs hatch?my babies are growing so fast got to get their coop finished I hope today they love being in their yard to scratch and pick and they love for me to throw worms in there for them

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Donna, you now have pets that will lay eggs! Be sure to keep handling them so they won't be skittish when they are older and you need to check them over. Have they reached the "tween" stage yet, with little tail feathers and longer legs?
    Ours will be going to the playpen in the yard sometime this week. My husband built a sturdy playpen that I can set up in the yard to let the chicklets have some fresh air, grass, and excitement. I'll post pictures, I promise!

14. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

mine has been outside for a week now and love it I am in the process of building them a big coop I love them

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

They sure grow quick Donna,..it will be a full time job keeping an eye on them until you become aware they will warn you and the others when something disturbs them.

16. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

yes they are growing so fast we got the coop done yesterday except the roof that is next and while I was finishing a new flower bed they got all kinds of worms grubs and bugs and they were so fun to watch chasing each other around for a worm lol