Our Zitje

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, May 3, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have been working alot in the warmth of the sunny days that we have had recently. Everything is growing so rapidly at the moment…especially the weeds. The weeds— that is what I have been concentrating on lately in-between keeping the veggie quads tidy.

In the absolute heat of the day we either sit under a massive parasol or in ons zitje, as we call it.
    IMG_3781.jpeg

This is the bench. The blue plastic is cause it had been raining and we wanted to protect the cushion. It looks tacky, but it works.

The Wisteria is finally blooming but the blooms seem a bit faded to me, and the ground is covered with buds at the point of opening. They just fell off with the wind.
    IMG_3762.jpeg

After looking at some of them I could see areas of crispy brown, and thought back a few days…there was the freeze warning, and I went out after the Cousins’ Day party that we hosted this year. —That crispy brown was frostbite of course, and the plant is simply shedding non-viable blossoms. Tis a pity, but there are still quite a few racemes, albeit paleer tha the norm.

When sitting, this is what we see before us— 50 Shades of Green, the Bride suggests.
    IMG_3778.jpeg

in the distance we can see the sticks with tennis balls on top. The foto does not show it, but they are very bright yellow. They mark where I planted Dalia's. The dalia’s are another story.
    IMG_3783.jpeg

The tennis balls we put on the bottom of the chairs we borrowed from our apt. organization. I wanted to protect the floor. We had thirteen guests over the floor that day.
    IMG_3669.jpeg

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    Oreti, Melody Mc., S-H and 4 others like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

It's a shame about your wisteria but that's how it goes with the weather, everything else is looking good Sjoerd.

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Very nice garden pics, very impressive. :)

4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

That's a beautiful zitje!

Gnomes knock off the wisteria blossoms to cover their tracks. Thats a sign they had a gnome festival with lots of mead and dancing. It's a sign they trust and like you.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you for sharing your photos Sjoerd - so beautiful. Your view from your zitje looks so peaceful. ( 50 shades of green hahaha :snicker:). It's a shame about the wisteria - so nice that it saved some blooms for you to enjoy and didn't go full revolt to the cold.

The tennis balls to protect your floor is a very clever idea!

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are right Loggie. We still got s great deal of pleasure from the Wisteria. It is coming to its end now…but still a week or so to enjoy their fragrance and beauty.

Pac— cheers.

Daniel— Thanks for that gnome info. They are tricky little guys aren’t they.
    I’m glad you like the zitje. It is so cool now that the heat is returning.

Mel— You are welcome.
    Merci for your nice comments about the zitje. It is calming looking out from it.
    You picked-up on that 50 shades remark chuckle.
    The tennis balls worked a treat on my floors. We are still using them for other purposes.

Pacnorwest, Logan and Oreti like this.