Over grown rental needing help on a budget

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Anastasia Spencer, Oct 2, 2018.

?

Over grown yard

1. Chemical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Holistic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Anastasia Spencer

Anastasia Spencer New Seed

I just moved into a rental(duplex) apparently all of the yard work is up to me... the whole yard is over grown and lots of wild strawberries are growing. I am working on cleaning everything out but was wonder if someone has a solution for overgrowth in plant beds that is safe for pets and cheap ( I am on a super budget)

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

:hi: @Anastasia Spencer welcome to GS and nice to have you with us.

I read once adding mulch to the ground where weeds grow between plants helps...at our property the lot was just dug out it takes time but you know your doing it the safe way around plants.

Other members may come up with better suggestions because of your plants and pets :)

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to Gardenstew!!!

I cleared out all the grass from our front yard, back yard and north side yard by hand. On my knee pad, with a trowel and some times a heavy duty garden fork. Safest way to do it. It takes quite a while but is great exercise.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/strawberry/growing-wild-strawberries.htm

Wish I had wild strawberries ! Just decide which plants you want to keep and which you want gone ! Then work in small areas till you get it the way you want ! When we know which plants you want to eliminate,, we can help with the cheap aspect !
    Vinegar and salt is a pretty good weed killer but it needs to be used around sidewalks or steps since you need to wait to plant other flowers for a while !

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Gail-Steman likes this.
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

mart I read this is supposed to be really good but it was done here the way you believe digging out properly..it's back breaking but you see the achievements afterwards and having one side of your garden full of barley well that took some sorting.